Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it me, the press, or the brass? What is going wrong?

If I recall correctly, you are a Glock shooter. I shoot glocks and CZ's (or used to shoot CZ's) a lot. I had the same problem as you when reloading lead or coated bullets. The slight inconsistency of lead or coated bullet sizes used to give me fits when case gauging. The crimp would be off, the seating depth would be inconsistent, blah, blah, etc. Between the mixed brass and lead bullets, I could never get 100 out of 100 to case gauge. I could get 100 out of 100 to case gage with Montana Gold jacketed bullets, but of course they are more expensive.

I found that the ones that would not case gage would usually not chamber in my CZ's. But they would shoot all day in my Glocks. I have never had a bullet that failed the case gage fail in the Glock (approx. 200K loaded). Therefore, I NEVER case gage anything that is going in the Glock anymore. It would have to be an obvious problem (lip rolled over, bullet upside down, etc) for it to not shoot in the Glock. I saved my rejects until I got 100 and then tried them for "gross" accuracy - 25 yards on 6 inch steel. Got the same hit % that I get with cartridges that pass, so I don't care. I know you are a GM and therefore a much more accurate shooter than me, so maybe you can tell the difference. But I think you may be wasting your time worrying about it.

I was having the same problem as you Gio. My CG failure rate was 5-10 per 100 rounds loaded. They would still fire but wouldn't spin freely in the barrel. I was using all Dillon dies on a 550b. I switched to a Lee fcd and those numbers went in half. Then I added a U die resizing die and and Redding competition seating die and I have not had a single round fail case guage since (~1000) rounds. I'm not sure if the seating die affected it or not. I had read that the U die would solve the problem and it sure seemed to do just that.

@Gio, I live in your area, we have a mutual friend (SLG), and I have been through this exact situation. The Lee FCD fixed it for me on my 650. I think that I also have a Lee undersized die not being used. Let me know if you want to try that die or try/see my setup.
    #RESIST

It does look like a slightly crooked bullet. It's hard to tell for sure with the lighting and reflections on the case. The FCD is setup for .355 bullets, which is a potential accuracy problem if you're shooting .356-.357 bullets as it might end up swaging the bullet.

The Mr Bullet Feeder powder funnel has a step in it below the flare portion. It's intended to permit the feeder to drop a bullet into the case and have it stay in place. The side benefit (especially for coated bullets) is it acts as an alignment guide to help seat straight. They're $40 or so.

Not to derail the thread, but a tangential note on thread titles which someone besides me might find humorous. When I read the title, I wasn't thinking reloading. Pictured LE/MIL frustrated with senior leadership decision making and media reporting.

What is the length of the cases? Are you squishing them somehow that makes them bulge? Not enough lube maybe. Or maybe not enough bell and you are squishing them when you seat.

Are the bullets the right size.

Do they fit in your chamber? Maybe the problem is the gauge.

Good luck!

Maybe the case gauge is out of whack.
    A71593

Site Supporter
    I just got my Undersized Lee 45ACP size/deprime die. Put in the 550 and loaded about 50 rounds - all passed the gauge. Will see if this is long term solution.

For 9mm in D550,
    1. I went to a Hornady sleeve type seater with micrometer adjustment. I don't know if that improved seating alignment much but it sure made it easier to adjust OAL.
    2. I went to a Lee CFC die. It rarely touches over the bullet but often cleans up the case expansion near the base that the radiused mouth of the Dillon die does not size.
    Gauge rejects dropped way off and even those few are shootable, they just go in the practice box.
    3. I have an EGW "U" die, but seldom use it except for 115 gr bullets (my current load is a 147 gr plated.)
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    @Gio, I live in your area, we have a mutual friend (SLG), and I have been through this exact situation. The Lee FCD fixed it for me on my 650. I think that I also have a Lee undersized die not being used. Let me know if you want to try that die or try/see my setup.
    Thanks, I need to take you up on the offer. Regardless, we should get together to shoot sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Thanks, I need to take you up on the offer. Regardless, we should get together to shoot sometime.
    Sounds good, hit me up via PM or I will you. I live not too far away from Elite.
    #RESIST

User Tag List