Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Asset Forfeiture: Taking Bad Guys' Things

Asset Forfeiture: Taking Bad Guys' Things

I saw there was another thread on forfeiture, but it was closed. I'm curious what you guys think of this article: Asset Forfeiture: Taking Bad Guys' Things.

It hits some of the high points, but talks mainly about the federal system rather than the states.

I think it's an unconstitutional taking. There should at least be due process before anything is taken. Taking things like cash with no other evidence should be criminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4gallonbucket View Post
    I think it's an unconstitutional taking. There should at least be due process before anything is taken. Taking things like cash with no other evidence should be criminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The same legal standard used to arrest someone and take away their freedom is the same legal standard used to seize assets (probable cause).

Quote Originally Posted by lucasrowe01 View Post
    I saw there was another thread on forfeiture, but it was closed. I'm curious what you guys think of this article: Asset Forfeiture: Taking Bad Guys' Things.

It hits some of the high points, but talks mainly about the federal system rather than the states.
    It's not taking bad guy's things.its taking the things of people who have been accused of a crime. There generally has been no conviction.

Edit: I am fine if there is a conviction and the assets were used in the crime or proceeds there of. I am not finding e if it's abusive: cars being seized for having a joint, etc.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 08-01-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    Are they required to give it back if you're not charged? I think that's where the issue stems. You can arrest me on probable cause but have to release me if not charged. Should work the same with assets.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 08-01-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Here we go again. Most due not realize the true power the gubment has. Only in Murica!
    Last edited by BJXDS; 08-01-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Before the thread gets locked I'd love to hear if there has ever been any cash returned.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    The same legal standard used to arrest someone and take away their freedom is the same legal standard used to seize assets (probable cause).
    I doubt anyone has any heartache over siezing assets prior to conviction. It's the not-giving-them-back if charges are dropped or never brought or the accused is aquitted that is the problem.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

It's very unnerving to see what happened on I-40 in Tennessee.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Before the thread gets locked I'd love to hear if there has ever been any cash returned.
    I know for a fact that in some cases (local) there has been cash returned due to acquittal at trial.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List