Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Role of the Shotgun

The Role of the Shotgun

What is it? I always see and read people who are SWAT/LE/etc. saying "Give me a rifle!" and yet I see that the longest running thread in this forum...is about a combat shotgun. Are we just kidding ourselves, and is the shotgun a uniquely capable tool that will always have a niche? What IS that niche? Is it just a bunch of people shooting 3-gun and the like?

Site Supporter
    I think that Dagga Boy provided the best answer to your question in this interview. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....olke-Interview

In short, for the dedicated user, it causes an incredible amount of damage to unarmored bi-peds and dangerous quadra-peds when using the right ammo, at pistol distances. It also, with the right ammo, deals better with targets in vehicles than other common LE guns. If you can keep those things in mind, you can apply it to the correct situation.

DB can do a far better job explaining all of that in depth but those were the things that I have taken from him on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    What is it?
    Your question seeks an objective, singular answer for subjective, individual applications.

Your answer is found in each personal application found throughout that and other threads. Home defense, bear country, sports, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Your question seeks an objective, singular answer for subjective, individual applications.

Your answer is found in each personal application found throughout that and other threads. Home defense, bear country, sports, whatever.
    I understand that. I also know that most people here have families, and there is a large amount of people in law enforcement here. Long story short, they probably are not rolling in cash, and they do have responsibilities. I PRESUME they all meet their personal responsibilities as healthcare, food, housing, clothing for kids, etc. BEFORE meeting their firearm purchase desires.

Yet I see many MANY posts here in the 1301 shotgun thread. It's not like it's made of diamonds, but it's also not a throw-away, either, and it costs money that detracts from other pursuits.

I find it interesting that the thread is so long, so big in fact that 2 industries have sprung up around the shotgun. I remember the Benelli M4 cottage industries...they took well over a decade to truly get into full swing. This very forum has spawned multiple industry partners RAPIDLY all focused on the 1301...a shotgun...a tool that many here say "My carbine does everything it does and better..."

...so why is the 1301 so bloody popular? What mail is it answering? Is it "because it's fun"? Or is there more? I am watching/hearing the podcast now, but am also interested in what others have to say on the matter, such as yourself.

...so why is the 1301 so bloody popular? What mail is it answering? Is it "because it's fun"? Or is there more? I am watching/hearing the podcast now, but am also interested in what others have to say on the matter, such as yourself.
    That's what we're looking for.

1301 almost nailed all of the best competition-derived features in an affordable, shootable, reliable package. I don't even see Beretta mods as a regular listing on C-RUMS site.

Industry 3rd party machining services have been a force for a few decades now. Some even turn out their own mostly-in-house made firearms. So for accessories they have the materials, machines and know how to read the market (or give design/machine time to a pet firearm used by others) and mobe quickly.

Beretta could sell more if they had an 18" choke model. A lot of people would like a dual purpose sport/home gun or barrel swap option. Non-choked shottys don't do well on far plate racks. And clays of course.

The 1301 is a hell of a lot more gun for the dollar than the SLP I had. You might also check out the original mondo 1301 thread on benos forum.

I personally won't afford a second semi, but really enjoy having one. If money is tight the Stoeger M3K may be a more affordable sport option.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    That's what we're looking for.

1301 almost nailed all of the best competition-derived features in an affordable, shootable, reliable package. I don't even see Beretta mods as a regular listing on C-RUMS site.

Industry 3rd party machining services have been a force for a few decades now. Some even turn out their own mostly-in-house made firearms. So for accessories they have the materials, machines and know how to read the market (or give design/machine time to a pet firearm used by others) and mobe quickly.

Beretta could sell more if they had an 18" choke model. A lot of people would like a dual purpose sport/home gun or barrel swap option. Non-choked shottys don't do well on far plate racks. And clays of course.

The 1301 is a hell of a lot more gun for the dollar than the SLP I had. You might also check out the original mondo 1301 thread on benos forum.

I personally won't afford a second semi, but really enjoy having one. If money is tight the Stoeger M3K may be a more affordable sport option.
    I agree with all you've said, but I was using the 1301 thread as an example: Shotgun = worth spending money on...in a world where "I'll reach for a rifle!" seems to be the predominant mindset.

I am getting from your post it's about fun and competition, not necessarily social purposes, for you personally?

I am getting from your post it's about fun and competition, not necessarily social purposes, for you personally?
    I'm in the 18" home/sport & practical finances group.

Not a competition butt hurt so +2 is fine, I'll don't plan on ever shooting Open. I don't hunt waterfowl and with realities of shotgun velocities vs. bbl length an 18" is no meaningful loss.

Besides hunting and 3 Gun, the shotgun is a tool used to dominate the pistol distance envelope.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@Dagga Boy's explanation during the shotgun portion of the HiTS class I took last year hit the nail on the head really well.

He talked about CQB / inside structure use of the shotgun as being the best possible application for the 12g caliber and modern ammunition. The fact the average shotgun using most LE-type loads will make the most of minimum amount of ammunition, which the shotgun makes up in force application.

Things I like shotguns for are shooting through intermediate barriers effectively, a well placed single hit on a person will probably stop the fight almost immediately, and that they are legal almost everywhere to have in your vehicle.

With those new shorty, non-stocked, shotguns, I think its a valid option for HD as well as car carry.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Besides hunting and 3 Gun, the shotgun is a tool used to dominate the pistol distance envelope.
    This ^^^.

It's not shotgun vs rifle.

The question is shotgun vs pistol, in which case the shotgun is the better choice when it is an option.

User Tag List