Thread: High Standard pistol failing to eject

Site Supporter

High Standard pistol failing to eject

Does anyone have any idea what would be likely to cause a High Standard .22 target pistol to repeatedly fail to eject a spent casing? The gun had been cleaned and lubed after the last time it was shot. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

A couple of possibilities:

1) The magazine. This is a known issue with some High Standards as the magazine is the feed ramp. So the top round in the magazine can interfere with ejecting the fired round.

2) Damage from dry firing peening the chamber and causing failures to extract.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the reply. Although I do not believe that this Pistol has been dry fired, I will check the chamber. The only magazine I have is the one that came with the gun, and I have never seen it do this before, but I will inspect the magazine as well.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Have you cleaned/checked for gunk under the extractor/in the extractor channel?
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 08-02-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I have checked under the extractor but not in the channel. Definitely worth a look. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I was finally able to get this gun working. Wolff carries various weight recoil springs as well as complete spring kits, so I ordered a couple of the complete spring kits as well as some different weight recoil springs. I disassembled the slide, cleaned the various channels, and replaced all of the springs within the slide. Although the factory recoil spring weight is 5.5 lb., I decided to start with the 6 lb. spring.

After I had the gun reassembled, the first magazine through the gun made it appear that the attempted repair was a complete failure. However, I then went through several additional magazines full of ammo without a single problem. It appears that something must have settled into place during that first magazine, and the gun now works exactly as it should.

If anyone else has one of these guns, when re-assembling the recoil spring assembly, begin by partially hammering the roll pin into the top of the slide. Then, once you get the recoil spring and plug in place, it will be easier to hold the plug in place while hammering the roll pin into position to secure the plug. If that tiny plug goes flying, finding it again can be quite a challenge.

Also, when removing the extractor, use a tiny flat head screwdriver to depress the extractor spring. You not only need to depress the spring, but also to keep the tool out of the way of removing the extractor once the spring is depressed. A tiny flat head screwdriver makes this a little easier.

User Tag List