Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Speed strips for j-frame.

After 3-4 years in service I have had both Tuff and Bianchi fall apart on me, so as cited, disposable items. The Tuff products tend to split either down the back or break in the middle, the Bianchi's break horizontally on me. I don't believe the quality of the polymer used or the way it is cured is all that good.

I am carrying the 2 +2 with space to grab them from either end as depicted above. When I put 5 shots plus a speed strip reload on a timer some years ago I decided the 5 rounds in a speed strip reload in a J frame was not really worth that 5th round for me...
    Last edited by fatdog; 08-01-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Here is how I set up my 7 shot loader for a 5 shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Here is how I set up my 7 shot loader for a 5 shot.
    Interesting. Now here's a serious question that I've long wondered about. You've used a revolver when it mattered, and carry a backup as well. Do you think it makes more sense to try to reload a backup or simply have a second backup? I ask because the whole idea of reloading a revolver when someone is trying to harm me seems pretty iffy. Personally, I am unlikely ever to be in a situation when either is necessary, but for those who are required to be in bad places at bad times might the better idea simply to carry a second j frame (or something else)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Interesting. Now here's a serious question that I've long wondered about. You've used a revolver when it mattered, and carry a backup as well. Do you think it makes more sense to try to reload a backup or simply have a second backup? I ask because the whole idea of reloading a revolver when someone is trying to harm me seems pretty iffy. Personally, I am unlikely ever to be in a situation when either is necessary, but for those who are required to be in bad places at bad times might the better idea simply to carry a second j frame (or something else)?
    When I carried a revolver on the job, I carried "Revolvers". I had my duty gun, back up on the ankle, and often my off duty revolver appendix carried behind my speedloaders so I had a choice....reloads or gun.

These days, Revolvers are mostly used as back ups to a high capacity 9mm. That speed strip is likely there for an administrative load post shooting if I ever get to the second gun. For my "rule one guns" of just being armed at home, that speed strip is not likely to ever get used as I will be trying to get to another gun. Most of "my circle" who are j frame guys usually have multiples and are going with the idea of accessibility over capacity.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

This is my typical daily carry....should take a disaster to get to the speed strip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Most of "my circle" who are j frame guys usually have multiples and are going with the idea of accessibility over capacity.
    I like this concept a lot. When you have the chance to do so, I'd be very interested in hearing more of your thoughts on the subject, which while sometimes discussed in pieces probably has not received enough attention.

These days, Revolvers are mostly used as back ups to a high capacity 9mm.
    Which begs the question, for me at least, why not carry a 9mm revolver like the LCR and use your extra magazine as your speedloader? I think it might be easier to load a revolver from a magazine than a speed strip, and this simplifies the amount of stuff you have to carry. You won't be able to extract the 9mm cases after firing due to the lack of moonclips, but if you are at the point of reloading your BUG a *second* time, it might be better to just pick up the dropped weapon of one of the dozens of fallen combatants around you.
    Last edited by ScotchMan; 08-03-2017 at 11:10 AM.

I don't know that loading out of a magazine would be faster than a speed strip. On a speed strip, I am loading 2 rounds at a time. With a magazine I am loading one at time. On the flip side, I don't have to rip and reset the next two rounds with a magazine. Someone needs to put it on a timer and see how that goes.
    Last edited by 167; 08-03-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Which begs the question, for me at least, why not carry a 9mm revolver like the LCR and use your extra magazine as your speedloader? I think it might be easier to load a revolver from a magazine than a speed strip, and this simplifies the amount of stuff you have to carry. You won't be able to extract the 9mm cases after firing due to the lack of moonclips, but if you are at the point of reloading your BUG a *second* time, it might be better to just pick up the dropped weapon of one of the dozens of fallen combatants around you.
    ..."Dozens of fallen combatants around you." Perhaps if one were walking the mean streets of Mogadishu...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I like this concept a lot. When you have the chance to do so, I'd be very interested in hearing more of your thoughts on the subject, which while sometimes discussed in pieces probably has not received enough attention.
    For most folks, often myself included, you have a single weapon located on your body. No matter where you carry, some scenarios will put you at a huge disadvantage in accessing that weapon. The airweight Revolver....or multiples, allow a ton of accesability. I am often walking in an "un policed" downtown Dallas in bad hours to be walking. My hand is usually in a pocket, with a M&P340 griped properly and ready to go. Is it a better shooter than my PX4CC....nope, but it is more easily accessed than he PX4CC, even in a good JMCK AIWB holster. No clothing to foul or fight, and that presentation will be a solid surprise. This is all very good. I know folks who will have an airweight j in each front pocket.....think about the access possibilities. Same with some of the ankle stuff. For counter robbery, accessibility is a huge benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Simply never had good luck with revolvers chambered in auto cartridges, just a personal preference.

User Tag List