Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Speed strips for j-frame.

RFI: Speed strips for j-frame.

I've been needing to get speed strips for a while now and am looking into them now. What is the best setup for these? Is the best to get a 5 round strip and load it full up or load it with just 4 for quicker reloads? Or get a 6 round strip and load it with 4? Or am I over thinking the whole thing?

Is any one brand better than the others?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I found after practicing with different setups that the 2full-2empty-2full on a 6 round speed strip was the fastest and easiest to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    I found after practicing with different setups that the 2full-2empty-2full on a 6 round speed strip was the fastest and easiest to handle.
    What he said. I also like the plastic consistency of the TUFF products version. They should be considered a disposable item...one strip lasts me about a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    What he said. I also like the plastic consistency of the TUFF products version. They should be considered a disposable item...one strip lasts me about a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those TUFF products are a little tuffer to load...at least the first time and until the knack is developed...imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I carry six rounds with the idea that I'll reload what I can and get back in the fight, then repeat if necessary or if I'm still alive.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Many different opinions -- most of which aren't wrong. But here's my choice for what it's worth.

I like 5 rounds in a 6-round strip. I leave the spot closest to the tab empty. That effectively give me a longer/stiffer tab to hold on to.

Strips are typically loaded 2 rounds at a time. Some prefer to only load 4 rounds with the logic being that it takes too much time to load the single 5th round. However, if you only load 4 rounds, then you have to take time and attention to make sure you index the cylinder correctly. Or you can ignore indexing and accept that one of your 5 shots is going to simply go "click."

Some like to load 6 rounds into the strip with the logic being that there's a spot for it and you might have to reload again. I'd rather not take the time to "save" the strip nor even be tempted to do so. Load it and drop it.

But all of these are personal opinions. Buy a strip and play with it to find the solution you like.

Here's a link to an interesting back pocket method I've been using for a while now.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....et-Speed-Strip

Some other folks show off their methods in the thread too.

I use 5 in a 7 round strip when I can for the J frames and six in a 8 round for the Colt D frames and snub K frames. I do run one Five in a Five for a very specific reason, but it is a unique space thing in one rig.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Tuff strip, 6 rounds, four in the middle with an empty slot on each end.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I run mine as pictured for a 6 round gun.

Name:  IMG_2773.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  64.8 KB

User Tag List