Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Turnover in the Trump Administration

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I grew up in a privileged part of the country. I took the AP US History class as a sophomore, which was a challenging course that had a competitive, 24 student max enrollment (public school). The teacher - Mr Epstein - regularly told us that one of us (pointing at the class) would end up in the White House one day.

Hope was not in that class. I don't think even Mr Epstein saw that one coming.
    We may jest, but there are very practical reasons why incompetent folks are occasionally placed in areas of power. A person smart enough to do a great job in the role will likely be smart enough to challenge the Boss when an unethical ,illegal or just plain bad idea is ordered. The phrase "useful idiot" is one of those undisclosed but frequently used management principles.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    We may jest, but there are very practical reasons why incompetent folks are occasionally placed in areas of power. A person smart enough to do a great job in the role will likely be smart enough to challenge the Boss when an unethical ,illegal or just plain bad idea is ordered. The phrase "useful idiot" is one of those undisclosed but frequently used management principles.
    Well of course. I am not THAT young:P

There is also the Peter Principle

I grew up in a privileged part of the country. I took the AP US History class as a sophomore, which was a challenging course that had a competitive, 24 student max enrollment (public school). The teacher - Mr Epstein - regularly told us that one of us (pointing at the class) would end up in the White House one day.

Hope was not in that class. I don't think even Mr Epstein saw that one coming.
    Perhaps Mr. Epstein was unfamiliar with the phrase "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Perhaps Mr. Epstein was unfamiliar with the phrase "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes."
    I think the only thing he was certain of was that it wasn't going to be me in the White House

I think the only thing he was certain of was that it wasn't going to be me in the White House
    "Nephrology for President 2020! Let's prove Mr. Epstein wrong!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    "Nephrology for President 2020! Let's prove Mr. Epstein wrong!"
    oh jesus I would be such an awful president.

There is also the Peter Principle
    Too few remember (or even ever knew) that one today, even though it's everywhere in evidence.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but in my brief tenure as a government employee I learned that there is a common practice of promoting incompetent people as it is oft times easier to get someone who is a nuisance transferred up than it is transfer them laterally or to fire them. OTOH, competent people who try to get promoted may get only satisfactory recommendations or reviews from bosses who want to keep the underlings who make their job easier and make them look better.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Does ass kissing have anything to do with promotion?

Probably a good thing that Sessions didn't get the boot.

Trump DOJ ends Holder-era 'Operation Choke Point'

"Operation Choke Point was an Obama Administration initiative that destroyed legitimate businesses to which that Administration was ideologically opposed (e.g., firearms dealers) by intimidating financial institutions into denying banking services to those businesses," the GOP lawmakers wrote last week.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List