Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Predator/Criminal behavioral indicators in public

Site Supporter
    Entering a parking lot from a grocery store in the evening, two panhandlers that had been hitting people up in the parking lot started converging on me, my cart, my young wife, and our baby. I started walking clear of the cart, met one's eyes as i unsnapped my windbreaker - and they peeled off and found somewhere else to be.

Were they up to no good, or were they going to hit us up for beer money? Well, considering how fast they took off when I cleared my coat, I suspect they were going to at least try to intimidate us.

My wife didn't even notice a bit of the "incident." I didn't draw or brandish, just unsnapped and flipped the edge of my coat. When I told her about it after we got in the car, she was shocked. She has gotten a bit more observant since - she also had her debit card stolen while she was distracted at the register at the PX a couple of years later, and that really made her mad.
    Last edited by Duelist; 07-31-2017 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    I can write volumes .. but will just say .... never judge a book by it's cover.

Ted Bundy
    Attachment 18596

Same guy
    Attachment 18597

I had this guy in a unit years ago.
    MURDER CHARGE AGAINST TUFTS PROFESSOR ROCKS MEDICAL SCHOOL.
    Prof. William Douglas of the Tufts Medical School ..
    "In March 1983, 21-year old Robin Benedict was brutally murdered by former Tufts professor William Douglas. He confessed to striking her in the head with a 2-1/2 pound sledge hammer, dumping their blood-stained clothes in a trash barrel, discarding her body in a dumpster, and then abandoning her car.
    Attachment 18599

Another guy I had in a unit.
    Connecticut Physician Held in Wife's Murder
    "Dr. Manfredi was arrested shortly before 1 A.M. today. He is a cardiologist at Hartford Hospital's cardiology catheterization laboratory, which is a private concern based at the hospital.
    Mrs. Manfredi died of head wounds, according to the Chief State Medical Examiner's
    Robin Benedict was a prostitute, and what makes this murder noteworthy is that it was one of the first cases in modern history to use a strategy of essentially blaming the victim for the crime in the court of public opinion. The denigrating nickname in the press at the time was "the prostitute and the professor" case."

They all looked very harmless ..
    There must have been some indicators. Do you know what they were?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Alice Crimmins, (my neighbor in apartment 1D when we lived in 1C), murdered her two young children in concert with some of her mobbed up associates in the sixties.

(Her estranged husband, Ed, is accompanying her in the photo before the children were found near the old 1964 Worlds Fair grounds at Flushing Meadows and she was determined to be involved in their murders.)

The apartment building we lived in, (left side), and the window behind her head (without the shutters) is where the children were alleged to have been "kidnapped" from when they were reported missing back in 1964. They were two sweet little kids.

Murderers come in all shapes and sizes. This one, (though the images don't properly show), in a very attractive and alluring package.
    Last edited by blues; 07-31-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

There are so many things to be aware of and to avoid.

Walking through a desolate park or area as a shortcut to get to your car, even in a crowded city. I had been bar hopping as a much younger man in Greenwich Village when I decided to cut across Washington Sq. Park to get to my car parked several blocks away. Noticed footsteps following and beginning to gain on me. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to walk under a street lamp and flash a blade I had in my pocket. The footsteps veered off and I continued on my way.

Avoiding walking close to doorways (and alleyway entries) late at night on quiet streets in urban areas.

Watch for anyone giving you attention and paralleling on the opposite side of the street.

Be mindful of the approach of one or two from the front by checking your rear and flank and changing course if the situation feels hinky.

Trust your instincts. If it doesn't feel right try to enter a building, business or location where others are present (if available).

Watch the hands and watch for the telltale "grooming" indicators.

Don't allow yourself to be stalled by someone as you walk down the street and don't accept offers of assistance or provide an offer to assist if you are not in a position to defend yourself or loved one.

Avoid striking up unnecessary conversations in a one on one environment with nobody else nearby.

So many things...mostly just trust your gut and move to avoid an encounter when you sense something is amiss.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Friends,

One of our online friends PM'd me about this subject, and the fact that I occasionally show my teenaged daughter what people are doing that the general public is completely oblivious of, but switched on street cops/detectives/narcs see on a regular basis both on and off duty. Guys see it when they go to the grocery store, in parking lots, wherever.

Anyways, he asked that a thread be started about this subject. I will drop back in and contribute after a bit. I have some family stuff to attend to right now. Minions to get bathed and in bed, all the usual stuff.

Lots of experience here, so have at it.

Cheers!
    It really amazes me how many people don't recognize unusual, suspicious behavior from individuals that can be potentially dangerous, change that, how many are oblivious to it. Recognizing you don't know what to look for is a very good first step. Learning how to respond when approached is equally important, so don't forget the MUC aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    It really amazes me how many people don't recognize unusual, suspicious behavior from individuals that can be potentially dangerous, change that, how many are oblivious to it. Recognizing you don't know what to look for is a very good first step. Learning how to respond when approached is equally important, so don't forget the MUC aspect.
    Some folks do know what to look for .

I recall a trip to a western Vegas gas station at 3AM. While an oblivious companion of mine decided to study the snack aisle for far too long, four individuals entered the gas station and cased it from back to front. I took a spot near the door facing the rest of the building when I noticed the 20 something female cashier looking absolutely terrified. It was not an unfounded feeling on her part.

The group finished pacing the store,took a look at the five odd people in line and me standing by the door alone,and left. Friend bought a snack and walked up to me like it was a regular trip to McDonalds, totally oblivious.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

It's everywhere, all around us like radio waves—one just has to tune in your OEM receiver and turn it up to see indicators of predatory behavior anywhere there are large numbers of people present (eg. any city or town). I'm no LEO, but I have spent large amounts of time on the road, often in unfamiliar urban centers, often later at night, while well/notably dressed and toting expensive looking shit. Working musicians see some of what LEOs and Hookers see in public, only we don't get paid to deal with it, so we get good at herding, rabbiting and going to ground in public places.

I need to stop for a sec and give the obligstory commercial: ECQC/MUC. Hie thee hoary asses to where Craig dispenses street knowledge; you've all heard this before.

Going on, I see the standard cues taught as such, by the names mentioned, after every gig in the city—with the possible exception of weight shift, since I've witnesses surprisingly few assaults that weren't mutually combative. Even sans ECQC, most rabbits are pretty good at ducking predation subconciously. I'll have to make an effort at birdspotting weight shift outside of the context of immediate assault.

I'll be back in a sec with a pic I took this weekend at a busy coffeeshop in Seattle that illustrates my point: every trip out to date has provided examples of predatory cues, and I've done well north of 2k gigs since going full time. Let me dump my phone; back in a flash....

ECQC/MUC: For those who would know (not sure how often @SouthNarc is on this board) can I reasonably take this course as a 20 lb-over catch limit 58 year old sedentary Retiree? I mean, without any trips to ER on Monday morning.

?

If so, I will likely try and schedule this somehow in 2018. My backup plan is to try and pick up what I can at Rangemaster Tactical Conference in Little Rock in March.

While psychopathic and other psychologically broken folks who could be your neighbor are a potential issue, they tend not to be common predatory criminals. Criminal street predators are the hyenia's of the human world. Their job is to find weak prey and exploit them. When I teach classes, and this came up a lot at the Girl and a Gun Conference last year.....I emphasize to no be the wounded baby gazelle at the watering hole. If you are a Gazelle or Wildebeast, be a healthy alert one in a pack of others. Don't go to watering holes alone...crappy gas stations, coin op car washes and laundry mats, Walmart parking lots....especially outside of daylight hours, anywhere homeless congregate, anywhere you see people stopping to buy drugs or prostitutes, bars, etc....
    The key again, avoid those places and if you have to go, bringing your own armed pack is a great idea.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List