Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Predator/Criminal behavioral indicators in public

Predator/Criminal behavioral indicators in public

Friends,

One of our online friends PM'd me about this subject, and the fact that I occasionally show my teenaged daughter what people are doing that the general public is completely oblivious of, but switched on street cops/detectives/narcs see on a regular basis both on and off duty. Guys see it when they go to the grocery store, in parking lots, wherever.

Anyways, he asked that a thread be started about this subject. I will drop back in and contribute after a bit. I have some family stuff to attend to right now. Minions to get bathed and in bed, all the usual stuff.

Lots of experience here, so have at it.

Cheers!

Predator/Criminal behavioral indicators in public

Very interested in picking up some knowledge here.

ETA: Untrained retired civilian here. What I've started to watch is 'unusual' things. Random stuff like, why is that dude walking across the WalMart parking lot, and not too or from the store? Why are the two dudes sitting on the sidewalk at a closed business? Stuff like that.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-30-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'd be interested in this as well. I was just about the St. Louis area at a farmers market and came across a gentleman wearing an ankle monitor. Other than that, how can you tell? He seemed normal, if a bit slovenly. Then again, he seemed a little less interested in the market stands than he was in the people in the market...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have this talk with people I am teaching who do not have situational awareness. In fact most instructors who are worth anything will give a variation of this type of talk...

Basically it comes down to what is normal and what is not normal behavior, a solo person vs a group of people. There are dozens of robbery videos on YouTube which will illustrate the points but having experienced these thing in the real world I can say you will be surprised that you notice them when you do, the trick is to act on that 6th Sense.

Imagine you are walking down a street and you see a guy sitting on a bench in the park. He is not reading a book, he is not playing with his phone, he is just sitting there. As you get closer you see that he holding something, maybe a knife, maybe a wrench, it's not small. He is looking around at people walking by. That should give you an instant "this seems odd and he may be up to something" type of feeling, this is correct and that means you should alter your route or wait for a good shoot opportunity, whatever it is you desire at that moment.

Same scenario but the guy is sitting in there reading a newspaper and he has a cup of coffee next to him, you know that's what people normally do in the park, while seated on a bench and that shouldn't make your spidey sense go off.

All you have to do is consider what is normal and what is not. What would a person normally do walking around in public? Why is this person doing what they are doing and what should your direct action be in response?

Person sitting in their vehicle, but it's off and windows are up. Not something people normally do, not in the summer, not in the winter.

Randomly changing direction walking multiple times. Once, ok maybe he's lost. Twice is intentional and three times is with purpose.

Speaking of with purpose, you know the difference between someone casually walking and someone walking with a purpose. So make sure you take action when you see people moving with a purpose towards you, waiting is hoping and hope is not a plan.

People do not ask other people for the time or for a light when they are walking by you on the street. This doesn't normally happen and I have personally seen this used as a setup for a robbery many times. You either walk faster or get ready for a confrontation.

If you are walking up a street and there is no one around, except someone walking towards you and they start looking around and fumbling in their pockets and/or waist band, you should avoid that person or get ready for a confrontation. This is also a setup.

Speaking of walking around alone when no one is around, if you find yourself walking down a street at night with no one in sight you made some wrong decisions to get there. Get a ride/Uber from wherever you are as that's always cheaper than getting robbed.

Eye contact - people who are interested in you will make eye contact with you. Look around and see who is looking at you. If you walk a bit or find the same person constantly eye balling you they either have a crush on you or they are setting you up and waiting for the right time to make a move, because you aren't that handsome.

Clothing will be an obvious tell more often than not, the guy in the three piece suit has less likelihood of robbing you then the guy in summer uniform one (xxxxl White t-shirt, jorts and Tim's). If a guy looks like a hood rat or has MS13 tattooed across his neck, probably not someone you want to be sharing a small space with. I tell people to look at mug shot photos on the news, basically anyone who has ever shot an officer has a mugshot on Google image search do some digging you'll see a pattern emerge. Avoid that pattern.

MLK Blvd, King's highway, or any combination of that type of street is probably not where you want to be.

Learn where section 8 housing is an avoid it like the plague. Or drive through to see who you should avoid, highest concentration of crime are always in these areas so the people there are those you should avoid. Note - they will be different people in different areas, no stereotyping here, assuming will only get you hurt.

For groups of people, who are they focusing on? Why? What are they wearing? Kids from school all dressed the same at 3pm on a Wednesday all having a laugh, cool probably won't get jumped or robbed. Kids wearing backpacks and mumbling while pointing in your general direction at 8pm on Saturday? Safe to say they aren't going to church for Bible study. Stay away from them.

If you see two or three youths walking around together looking at people specifically they are hunting, Hilda was right. If you happen to become their fixation go somewhere public until they leave or get ready for a fight.

If you see youths sitting somewhere where they really aren't doing anything but "being" and they start looking around then all of a sudden start to make a bee line (moving with purpose) towards someone, or you, run or get ready for a fight.

If you are going to go somewhere you normally don't (especially if you are a small person or a small female) bring a gun or better bring a gun and a friend with a gun. Going anywhere alone is not good, and it's never good if you somewhere you don't know.

Speaking of going places, know what street you are on and where the closest trauma hospital is. This is as important as seeing indicators.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 07-30-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'd also suggest looking to see if there is a Dr. William Aprill "Unthinkable" seminar in your area. Great info on the criminal mind and predator/prey selection. https://aprillriskconsulting.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Is the question how to identify predators or how to avoid them? The two questions are related you know. If you want to avoid them, then avoid their lairs. On the other hand, you can easily identify them by going to their lairs.

Here is their lairs:
    1) Bars, clubs, and places where strangers (i.e. prey) go to lose their inhibitions. That often includes frat parties in college.
    2) Places where money is exchanged for drugs
    3) Strip clubs or any place people go to buy sex
    4) Hospital emergency departments - lots of predators there...usually because they had a run in with a stronger predator
    5) Walmart - predators need to buy shit too you know...at 2 AM
    6) My house if uninvited...

There are a few others, but if you avoid those 6 places, then the chances of become prey is very low.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-30-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Is the question how to identify predators or how to avoid them? The two questions are related you know. If you want to avoid them, then avoid their lairs. On the other hand, you can easily identify them by going to their lairs.

Here is their lairs:
    1) Bars, clubs, and places where strangers (i.e. prey) go to lose their inhibitions. That often includes frat parties in college.
    2) Places where money is exchanged for drugs
    3) Strip clubs or any place people go to buy sex
    4) Hospital emergency departments - lots of predators there...usually because they had a run in with a stronger predator
    5) Walmart - predators need to buy shit too you know...at 2 AM
    6) My house if uninvited...

There are a few others, but if you avoid those 6 places, then the chances of become prey is very low.
    I thought you were always in the market for more kidneys?

This one is for folks with nicer cars.

A bystander who is visibly interested in your car may not be a law abiding gearhead. A guy who says he likes your rims and wants to "look under your hood" might be acting like a fan with the goal to reduce your guard for a confrontation. Note that some models with proximity key detection systems will allow the car to start if the fob is nearby; hence a thief could literally just enter the parked car and and drive off if you're standing near enough with the key.

Good thing no one here keeps a car gun,right?
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 07-31-2017 at 01:16 AM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I thought you were always in the market for more kidneys?
    Of course, but a good host never takes from invited guests.

Besides, the breeders that live 2 doors down keep pumping out kids...
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I can write volumes .. but will just say .... never judge a book by it's cover.

Ted Bundy
    Name:  th.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  8.6 KB

Same guy
    Name:  bundy314.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  38.5 KB

I had this guy in a unit years ago.
    MURDER CHARGE AGAINST TUFTS PROFESSOR ROCKS MEDICAL SCHOOL.
    Prof. William Douglas of the Tufts Medical School ..
    "In March 1983, 21-year old Robin Benedict was brutally murdered by former Tufts professor William Douglas. He confessed to striking her in the head with a 2-1/2 pound sledge hammer, dumping their blood-stained clothes in a trash barrel, discarding her body in a dumpster, and then abandoning her car.
    Name:  DOUGLAS-standing.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  45.2 KB

Another guy I had in a unit.
    Connecticut Physician Held in Wife's Murder
    "Dr. Manfredi was arrested shortly before 1 A.M. today. He is a cardiologist at Hartford Hospital's cardiology catheterization laboratory, which is a private concern based at the hospital.
    Mrs. Manfredi died of head wounds, according to the Chief State Medical Examiner's
    Robin Benedict was a prostitute, and what makes this murder noteworthy is that it was one of the first cases in modern history to use a strategy of essentially blaming the victim for the crime in the court of public opinion. The denigrating nickname in the press at the time was "the prostitute and the professor" case."

They all looked very harmless ..
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 07-31-2017 at 02:52 AM.

User Tag List