Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: P320 drop safety issues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Father of 3 View Post
    I wonder if this could somehow upset the contract for big Army?
    Well, I can promise you that any pistol issued to the Army might get bumped or dropped a few times. Bad enough for the Infantry but the mounted warriors in Tanks, Bradley Fighting Vehicles, and Strikers certainly bump into a lot of stuff climbing in and riding in armored vehicles. Add in the other armored personnel carriers for even more chance to "bump" or "drop" a pistol.

txdpd,

Is this from your agency or one you know of? Any idea if it is a reaction to that video, or if it is from additional testing or experience?

JHC,

It is also my understanding that phase 2 of the Army testing was not completed - and that is where the drop testing was to occur. I'm pretty sure I got that from the official response to Glock's protest posted on The Firearm Blog a while back. My recollection of the government's response was, "You're right, Glock. They didn't complete the testing, but Sig was so much cheaper that the results of the testing wouldn't matter. They would still go with Sig." I'm on my phone right now and didn't find the response after a quick search. I'll dig up the response later and see if that is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post

This got sent out today.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 98z28; 07-29-2017 at 11:02 AM.

If this is a platform-wide issue with the P320's, I sure would hate to be the poor bastard that decided not to complete phase 2 once soliders start having AD's and they realize that had they finished, this would have came out.
    Last edited by Father of 3; 07-29-2017 at 11:06 AM.

CWM11B
    I heard about this about a month ago. Tried to repeat it, but was unable. Page 25 (I believe) of the factory manual stated the pistol may fire if dropped. I have tried to like this gun, but can't warm up to it. Passed on a really good deal on one. For this, and other reasons, I won't be picking one up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    No testing can work out all the bugs like say the first 10 years of hard use by a million or so users.
    Yup. People forget the Glock design is nearly40 years old.

There's a thread on the drop issue on the Primary & Secondary FB page. Bruce Gray and others provide some info. This is Bruce's quote (direct copy and paste):
    "I have replicated what I believe the video attempts to portray, however suspect that portrayal may appear to be. I could not get a P320 to behave as shown. I believe I could perhaps get the trigger to retract as portrayed in the suspect video, if trigger bar, safety lever, striker lock and sear springs were all compromised or removed entirely. I conclude the video 'test' is an outright fraud, until the author can demonstrate otherwise. I predict we'll never hear from him."
    They all seem to agree that language in the Sig manual that leaves open the theoretical possibility that the gun could fire when dropped is being taken out of realistic context.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    txdpd,

Is this from your agency or one you know of? Any idea if it is a reaction to that video, or if it is from additional testing or experience?
    My agency.

I don't think it's the range staff's reaction to that video, something probably came from Sig. We may not be rocket scientist, but we should be smart enough to know that we don't know what's been done to that pistol. I don't know if this is a gross over reaction in light of the national news beating that Austin PD is taking over their Ford Explorer issues (media embarrassment or fear of embarrassment is the greatest motivator in public safety politics), or if the pistols legitimately need to be pulled from service.

Looking at the video, if it's legitimate, it looks like it takes a pretty specific impact angle to cause the weapon to discharge. If an officer was running with his pistol in his hand and tripped, I could see it striking the ground at that angle.
    Last edited by txdpd; 07-29-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wilco423 View Post
    There's a thread on the drop issue on the Primary & Secondary FB page. Bruce Gray and others provide some info. This is Bruce's quote (direct copy and paste):
    "I have replicated what I believe the video attempts to portray, however suspect that portrayal may appear to be. I could not get a P320 to behave as shown. I believe I could perhaps get the trigger to retract as portrayed in the suspect video, if trigger bar, safety lever, striker lock and sear springs were all compromised or removed entirely. I conclude the video 'test' is an outright fraud, until the author can demonstrate otherwise. I predict we'll never hear from him."
    They all seem to agree that language in the Sig manual that leaves open the theoretical possibility that the gun could fire when dropped is being taken out of realistic context.
    Bruce is a man of integrity but he was heavily involved in the development of the P320. It is "his baby" and that can effect objectivity.

I have heard a report of a local Agency in NC experiencing an ND with a dropped P320.

In another thread on here, PF member Trooper224 mentions an agency in a neighboring state which has experienced three NDs with their new P 320's.

This is not unheard of. I'm aware of reports of ND's due to dropping / impacts with the FN FNS and the Canik TP9 striker version, both of which are also fully tensioned striker designs.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Bruce is a man of integrity but he was heavily involved in the development of the P320. It is "his baby" and that can effect objectivity.
    Certainly. Since the video posted up-thread seemed more-or-less unquestioned, it seemed fair to include a counter-point. I carry a P320, and if there's a drop safe issue, I want a fix for it right now. Since the PD that banned them (Dallas) said Sig called it a "defect," I can only imagine we'll hear something from Sig soon, considering the potential liability.

Hammertime
    Also from the P&S thread from Bruce Gray:

"We have conducted numerous drop tests which exceed the ANSI/SAAMI protocol on factory-spec P320's. Our results have always been predictably unremarkable. They do not fire. There is nothing inherent to the P320 design or manufacture which supports such a conclusion, based upon our independent R&D and testing, not have I heard any credible reports of a proper factory-spec P320 having such an issue. (I edited my post for clarity and to remove unintended implications.)"

User Tag List