Page 11 of 112 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: P320 drop safety issues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It seems it's time to post this again. ToddG's classic "Trust No One"

https://pistol-training.com/articles...rs-perspective
    Along these lines ^^^^ if there are drop safety issues with the P320, I wonder if it is an issue with the design itself, or is it due to out of spec parts resulting from a QC issue or a change of vendor or change in materials ?

We have seen issues with Glocks, SIG "classic" P series guns and others when parts made to different specs or from different materials were substituted due to cost or production volume pressure. Could that be the case here?

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    if the manual says it can happen (pistol fire when dropped), and then it fires when dropped, i'm not sure i'd call that a "defect", it behaved just the way the manufacturer said it would. if you didn't read the manual, and you insist on dropping your loaded pistol, that's a defect of the Dallas PD, not Sig.

there are tradeoffs in everything. they decided, based on what was important to them, to go with the P320. and now they are having second thoughts and trying to blame Sig for a pistol that behaves just the way the manual said it would.

solution: don't drop loaded pistols.

I think for most civilians this is a way to think. For most police officers or soldiers, not so much. I've seen equipment spread over a wide area during fights, chases, vehicles crashes, etc. Sometimes the reason is the officer had a defective holster, etc. They need to fix it. But sometimes it's just that life came up and decided to rack them right in the boys at that time. It happens. Having a viable alternative with another platform that doesn't tend to go bang when dropped makes sense when looking at the problem on an agency scale.

I do agree with what I believe your post alludes to, in that folks don't need to go dump their 320's at a loss or insist they get their money back just yet. Letting the process work itself out over the next year and see what happens. Perhaps it's much to do about nothing or it's a problem with a fix or it's, turn in your gun for a full refund. Whatever the case time will probably make the answer a bit clearer.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I think it's been a pretty generally accepted precept since, oh, the 1980s/1990s that firing pin safeties (and other safety devices) are pretty much an industry standard to preclude weapons from firing simply because of impact when dropped. Another solution was to go with stronger firing pin springs as opposed to additional mechanical safety devices.

As JustOneGun pointed out, stuff happens-and the the Law of Unintended Consequences inevitably takes effect.

If there is such a defect in the P320, it needs to be fixed-immediately. If SIG can't expeditiously diagnose the issue(s), and fix them, if there indeed are issues, then there's some Austrian company with a viable product that's been fielded for decades that I'm sure would be happy to step in to fulfill the contracts.

Try for size telling the spouse or parent of an injured or killed servicemember (either the individual operating the weapon or an innocent bystander) that the injury/death potential was called out by a manual, so it's not the manufacturer's fault and the weapon really isn't defective...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-02-2017 at 03:46 PM.

i have an old, 1986 vintage, Colt Gold Cup Trophy, one of the first 150 off the line, and it has their "series 80" safety system, so in theory, the gun won't fire unless you pull the trigger. their version of a "drop safety" feature.

fast forward to this year, and the new Gold Cup Trophy has reverted to their "series 70" safety system that does not have the extra firing pin block. you still have to depress the grip safety and pull the trigger to make it fire, but it has a few less parts than before. the rationale is that this new version is a range pistol for competition, not for daily carry use. and yet people on ranges keep dropping pistols.

be careful out there.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    i have an old, 1986 vintage, Colt Gold Cup Trophy, one of the first 150 off the line, and it has their "series 80" safety system, so in theory, the gun won't fire unless you pull the trigger. their version of a "drop safety" feature.

fast forward to this year, and the new Gold Cup Trophy has reverted to their "series 70" safety system that does not have the extra firing pin block. you still have to depress the grip safety and pull the trigger to make it fire, but it has a few less parts than before. the rationale is that this new version is a range pistol for competition, not for daily carry use. and yet people on ranges keep dropping pistols.

be careful out there.
    I've been made fun of for not liking the Series 70 safety system, but I know myself. I know I'm clumsy and most things I owned will get dropped at some point. For me drop safety is pretty huge and I like firing pin blocks.

Plus the trigger on my Series 80 Colt is REALLY good so I may be missing the whole thrust of that argument.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 08-02-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

my older series 80 has about a 3-3.25lb trigger.

my newer series 70 has about a 4.25-4.5lb trigger.

now the newer one was made for action shooting (IDPA, etc), while the older one was made for bullseye shooting (precision). they both are really nice.

P320 drop safety "issues"

What has happened to the P320 Drop Shot Video - it has been taken down?

The 'zelbiger' YouTube channel that apparently originally posted the video has made it private or deleted it. Humm... wonder what's up with that?

--
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    Last edited by busykngt; 08-02-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Maybe old news but The Firearm Blog is reporting DPD has issued a recall for the P320.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Maybe old news but The Firearm Blog is reporting DPD has issued a recall for the P320.
    I was going to copy and paste earlier but I am having computer issues. Dated today.

P320 drop safety "issues"

The guys just like to repeat Post # 1 of this thread. [emoji6]

Except the video evidence doesn't seem to be available anymore! [emoji33]
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    Last edited by busykngt; 08-02-2017 at 08:52 PM.

User Tag List