Page 30 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: P320 drop safety issues

I would really expect more from a company like Sig. I'm interested to see how this plays out, but it seems like this could be a very easily repeated event. Someone asked earlier, but I wonder too- who if anyone knew at Sig? I'd find it hard to believe nobody in the entire company would have a clue this could happen. It reminds me of the Ford Pinto. In a rush to get the Army contract and product to market, were corners cut? This test and the tests by @Enel are a big deal with me as I learn more about pistols. It's not just my safety and life I worry about but my entire family and my friends. I have going back and forth between a carry pistol and home defense pistol the past few months- this test and the amount of information that I've read has convinced me that Glock is the best platform out there, when I consider ease of shooting, safety, and the ability of my family to pick one up and shoot. I just put over a grand into HK and will keep them for fun, but this really has put me in the Glock camp.
    The members of this forum are simply outstanding and continue to amaze me with their knowledge and contributions to new pistol shooters. I wish I'd had the chance to meet Todd, but if I did, I would thank him for this group of people and this community.
    And I have put my money where my mouth is and put 250 rounds through my brand new G17 this evening.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    The only way I can see this being possible is if inertia would allow the trigger to move to the rear ala the P320...the firing pin safeties of both guns are intact until the trigger is pulled...I may lay some cardboard down on the driveway and drop my 226 and one of my Berettas with a primered case and see what happens.
    I'm very interested in this. Like others, I can say with certainty, based on embarrassing personal experience, that a decocked Sig 2022 will not discharge when dropped on a tile floor with the muzzle pointing at your face (like the 320 in this thread). It will dent the rear sight, remove a chunk of tile, and imbed your underwater into your butt crack. But it won't fire a round.

I can see where a cocked DA/SA gun might discharge exactly the same way the 320 does (i.e. inertia moving the trigger to the rear on impact). Most SA trigger actions are lighter than a stock 320 and have a short trigger travel, like the 320. I'd really like to know if this is a problem with a DA/SA gun like a classic Sig. For the moment I've shelved the 320 and gone back to the SP2022, I might not have completely solved the problem with this move.

I've never dropped a cocked pistol, but I have seen it happen at USPSA matches and on my PD's firing line (more than once). Never seen one go off, but that certainly doesn't make it impossible (or even improbable).

Just pulled my 2 P320 compacts (June 16 manufacture, stock except for new sights) out of the safe and tried to replicate the test. I dropped both guns from equivalent height and angle on to a concrete floor 10 times per gun and the guns did not fire. Very small test and sample plus I did not feel like damaging my guns more but it makes me feel better about my own guns at least.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    every-time we left the wire we went condition one with all firearms, including side arms. Obviously I am only speaking for my unit, others could of done things differently.
    Same here. All weapons loaded and on safe as we exited wire. Plenty of opportunities to "bump" a sidearm on a mission.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Same here. All weapons loaded and on safe as we exited wire. Plenty of opportunities to "bump" a sidearm on a mission.
    +1 on locked and loaded.
    I can't tell you how much stupid stuff I saw with pistols over 22 months in country.
    Last edited by holmes168; 08-07-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    +1 on locked and loaded.
    I can't tell you how much stupid stuff I saw with pistols over 22 months in country.
    Oh, I bet a PF dollar I have some great M9 stories but do not want to drift the thread!

The problem with Bruce is that he is representing Sig, and he went out and publicly bad mouthed a customer. Whether he was right or wrong, that's just bad business and it could be huge red flag to anyone thinking about doing business with Sig in the future. Despite all of problems we've had with Sigs over the years, we've stuck with them because of their customer service.

The full reasoning behind DPD's decision to pull P320s is still not known, and in the end I'm pretty sure there will be some after the fact justification to a knee jerk reaction along with some valid reasons behind the decision.
    Last edited by txdpd; 08-07-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF422 View Post
    Just pulled my 2 P320 compacts (June 16 manufacture, stock except for new sights) out of the safe and tried to replicate the test. I dropped both guns from equivalent height and angle on to a concrete floor 10 times per gun and the guns did not fire. Very small test and sample plus I did not feel like damaging my guns more but it makes me feel better about my own guns at least.
    it's more worrying to me that some exhibit the issue and others don't... basically my viewpoint regarding any quality issue (inconsistency).
    perhaps some common thread will be found but such problem identification/solving needs to be driven by SIG (the mfg). will be interesting to see how it is handled in the coming days/weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF422 View Post
    From what height did you drop them on a concrete floor?

Can you show photos of the damage to the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    The problem with Bruce is that he is representing Sig, and he went out and publicly bad mouthed a customer. Whether he was right or wrong, that's just bad business and it could be huge red flag to anyone thinking about doing business with Sig in the future. Despite all of problems we've has with Sigs over the years, we've stuck with them because of their customer service.

The full reasoning behind DPD's decision to pull P320s is still not known, and in the end I'm pretty sure there will be some after the fact justification to a knee jerk reaction along with some valid reasons behind the decision.
    Have there been serious issues with DAK P226s?

User Tag List