Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now this is a torture test

Now this is a torture test

Glock 17 survives, 18 years 250,000 rounds and 6 months in the ocean.

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/05...re-test-ocean/

Perfection. Case closed.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Well shooot. I guess my Glock that’s pitted from 2 years of belly sweat is a knockoff :/

I'm calling BS.

He says he bought it in 1988 yet the Glock in the pictures is a Gen3....

Why would you write such an article without including a single picture? And why would they leave such an amazing discovery in their "archive" for over 10 years before publishing it?

Also, 3 shot groups of 1" at 25m after 250,000 rounds? No

Chuck Taylor’s test appeared to be legit and is the one I often refer to. He had periodic updates and pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I seriously doubt that Ballistic Mag has an archive. Chuck Taylor updates this article and gets it published in a print magazine every few years it seems. The last I’m aware of was in Combat Handguns in the Fall of 2017 where the round count was purported to be 365,000+ over the course of 29 years.

Google “Chuck Taylor Glock Test” to see many different versions of this from over the years.

I seriously doubt that Ballistic Mag has an archive. Chuck Taylor updates this article and gets it published in a print magazine every few years it seems. The last I’m aware of was in Combat Handguns in the Fall of 2017 where the round count was purported to be 365,000+ over the course of 29 years.

Google “Chuck Taylor Glock Test” to see many different versions of this from over the years.
    I remember reading about Chuck's high round count indestructible Glock in the early 90's (maybe even '89) in Combat Handguns. Back then I was gullible enough to believe it.

. Google “Chuck Taylor Glock Test” to see many different versions of this from over the years.
    I've read these ever-increasing round count "articles" over the years, dating back to the (?) latter '80s or so.

I've been amused to note that after all of his earlier screeds proclaimed the superiority of the .45 Auto cartridge and the 1911 pistol, he has felt the need to defend these expositions of Glock durability and longevity with the explanation that he does so "because I'm a professional".
    Last edited by SAWBONES; 06-03-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

After personally witnessing some of the things Miami P.D. Officer Armando Valdes did to torture test his Glock pistols back in the 90's, no one will ever be able to convince me that these guns can't take a massive amount of physical abuse and continue functioning properly.

I saw him take his gun and fling it off multiple concrete walls and floor with great force...pick it up and shoot a smiley face in a target at 25 yards like it was a walk in the park.

He also did many of the other tests such as leaving mags loaded for years, running over the guns with SWAT vehicles, burying them etc.

More abuse than mine will ever see under any foreseeable circumstances.

YMMV.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I wonder if the current generations of Glock would do as well as the 80’s and 90’s Glocks. For one thing I think the finish was more corrosion resistant/hard. And you have things like MIM extractors and finish pealing off small parts etc. I also don’t recall reading about breachface failures either. Of course back then we didn’t have the internet of today.
    Last edited by Dcowboyscr; 06-05-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcowboyscr View Post
    I wonder if the current generations of Glock would do as well as the 80’s and 90’s Glocks. For one thing I think the finish was more corrosion resistant/hard. And you have things like MIM extractors and finish pealing off small parts etc. I also don’t recall reading about breachface failures either. Of course back then we didn’t have the internet of today.
    I have a early '90's G17 that has a habit of chipping the extractor hook much more regularly than any of my later Gen Glocks.
    The old days weren't all they were cracked up to be (same with the West German Sigs).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List