Page 40 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: P320 drop safety issues

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    other manufacturers have had to recall their offerings. they figure out what the problem is, design and test a fix, and get things fixed up.

so i'll wait for Sig to say something on the record, if they confirm there is a problem, and if so, what the solution will be. shipping the slide assembly back is pretty easy, as it's not the firearm. if you have to ship the trigger assembly back, that's a little more involved.

it would be nice for all affected, if they can sort this out within the next few weeks. gonna cut into their profit line for the next few quarters.
    So you still think there isn't a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So you still think there isn't a problem?
    i don't know.

i've seen the various videos, some appear pretty straight forward, others have questionable provenance.

i'll wait for Sig to say something. it's their baby, they should know it better than anyone else.

i don't know.

i've seen the various videos, some appear pretty straight forward, others have questionable provenance.

i'll wait for Sig to say something. it's their baby, they should know it better than anyone else.
    ... they also have the biggest reason to twist the truth.

i don't know.

I would take any statement Sig puts out with a grain of salt at this point. They had their chance to address this ethically and that ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I would take any statement Sig puts out with a grain of salt at this point. They had their chance to address this ethically and that ship has sailed.
    I agree. Given that the CT officer had the discharge on Jan 15, 2017, and Sig put out a parsed statement last Friday, referencing no commercial US discharges, how can we think anything other than Sig intentionally was deceptive.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I'm posting to add another anecdotal story.

I was sitting down one evening to take a dump. Like usual I removed my loaded and holstered glock 26 from my belt and placed it on the edge of the bathtub. Because I wasn't paying attention I set it a little too close to the edge. I watched it slide off the edge of the tub in slow motion and land on the tile floor on the back of the slide with the barrel pointed right at my face. I'm glad I was where I was when that happened and don't put my pistol there anymore.

I think, as mentioned, earlier this is a relatively common orientation for a loaded pistol to land when dropped while being administratively handled.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I have seen more and more 320 shooters at matches over the last few months, especially with the release of the X5. I think any gun that isn't drop safe should be banned from IDPA or USPSA, but I also really wonder how drop safe most of the 1911/2011 designs with trigger pull weights measured in ounces are. If I was teaching public enrollment classes right now, I would ban 320's until some kind of solution or recall from Sig, and then I would make sure any shooters using them in future classes had post-recall parts in the gun.

A couple years ago a new shooter to a match drew his entire paddle holster out of his pants along with his Glock 17, both of which tumbled forward and landed in the same orientation the 320's that are failing this test landed. I remember seeing the muzzle pointed directly at my buddy who was standing next to me the moment it hit the ground.
    I've never dropped a pistol from my hands..... However, many years ago I got out of the front passenger seat of a mini van at a parking lot brief for a search and arrest. Somehow the seatbelt caught the grip of my USP Compact and levered it out of the holster as I got out of the car sending it skidding across the parking lot....

Suffice to say I'm glad USPC's are drop safe.... stuff happens.

Quote Originally Posted by nucci View Post
    Ok, in my opinion there's still a question whether something happens inside the slide at impact to release the striker, or whether the inertia of the trigger shoe moves the trigger, releasing the striker.

I'd like to see one of you testers mount electrical tape/wire ties etc from the rear of the trigger to the front of the trigger guard, immobilizing the trigger as a tabbed trigger safety would do, then see if dropped strikers can still be produced.
    Agreed. That said, I'd only be truly confident in the efficacy of a trigger tab after testing with the actual Sig tabbed trigger in place to allow for the real-world amount of tab clearance "slop" in the trigger in case that proves to be a factor.

A secured trigger test as you suggest would at least point to a specific mode of failure though.

What are the odds of someone on the outside obtaining a Sig OEM tabbed trigger to experiment with anytime soon?

That was the veggies, here's dessert...Name:  9ZwiL3G.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  30.2 KB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If you trust Sig to be honest, I hope Santa brings you something nice this year. They may get backed into a corner by all this attention and admit there's an issue, but honesty and integrity aren't big buzz words in the gun manufacturers space. The few peeks behind the curtain I've had resulted in an understanding the big players are not reliable sources of information on their own product, usually intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The XM17 has passed military drop testing and been selected, not the P320. For all we know at this point, the internal changes required for the military version may allow it to be (more) drop safe.
    FWIW, Ash Hess (a senior NCO currently serving as the Senior Writer for Small Arms in the Weapons and Gunnery Branch at the MCoE) stated on Facebook the only difference between the M17 and the P320 are the coating on the parts, as the P320 coatings do not meet the DoD corrosion requirements; he has also stated that the M17 has passed the Army drop test protocol both with and without the manual safety engaged. Also, the Army allegedly had all the FBI test data, so unless the data was ignored, the FBI most likely did not find this issue either, in their testing.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-08-2017 at 11:42 AM.

User Tag List