Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhodesian Vest, Either Eagle Industries or LBT, Worn On Back?

Question Rhodesian Vest, Either Eagle Industries or LBT, Worn On Back?

I have been wearing a small rifle plate in the front plate pocket of my concealed armor while on police patrol. While surfing the web, trying to find a way to quickly don a rear rifle plate, to be worn outside/externally, to match the concealed plate in the front, I found an evil-bay ad for an Eagle Industries Rhodesian Vest, with an image of a mannequin wearing this vest backwards, as if it were a backpack. So, now I am wondering whether this is a feasible way to wear a plate, short-term? There seems to be plenty of strap material, and some flexibility in configuring the straps.

The original, historic Rhodesian vests were built to simply hold magazines; we would recognize them as chest rigs. The evolved Rhodesian Vests marketed by Eagle Industries (and London Bridge, if I recall correctly) will accommodate a rifle plate, and have web loops to add mag pouches as such, so can be left slick if the only goal is to carry a plate.

Thanks for your time and comments.

I will add that I am aware of the Mayflower/Velocity Systems rear plate adapter for their chest rigs, but I am not really wanting to use a chest rig, as I do not presently carry a patrol rifle.

There will be a hundred answers soon. If you are adding a layer, using a threat based analysis, I would recommend using a plate carrier, and even if you don't have a rifle. I would use the MOLLE on the front for extra pistol and first aid kits. Look into something from LBT or Eagle or Many others that are light and fit the plates you are using.
    This might work, but again, threat based analysis, know your enemy. If you upgrade because of a particular threat, do it right, you only get one chance to get it right.

Also consider side plates.

http://lbtinc.com/0094dbk
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 07-29-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I will add that I am aware of the Mayflower/Velocity Systems rear plate adapter for their chest rigs, but I am not really wanting to use a chest rig, as I do not presently carry a patrol rifle.
    If you use Velcro ammo cards for your duty shotgun they fit in most M-4 mag pouches.

First Spear makes a very simple plate carrier to go on over soft armor. It's called he First On:
    http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17714

I've done some work with the first on, and it's a good piece of kit. Just make sure you find the right plates for it. Thick ceramic plates with soft plate backers won't work well. Though stand alone plates with built in soft backers (like some protech lvl IV plates have) will work.

Keep rifle mags in them or double pistol mags and/or a med kit in one of the pouches and throw your radio into it (or not) and you'll be good to go.

It's a solid piece of kit.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Thanks for the replies. I do appreciate it.

In hindsight, I should have stated, earlier, that I am issued a set of Level IV plates, in a carrier with a wide range of adjustment, at the beginning of each shift. If there is time to proactively armor-up, I could remove the small rifle plate from my soft armor, and wear the Level IV plates over my soft armor. I would look like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, and think I would be lucky to remain effective for more than 15 minutes, if having to move around, in the heat. (Our overnight lows are in the Eighties now, with little to no relief until the first cool front in September, or so.) These are bulky plates, with no place to stow them up-front in the compact Explorer-based Make-Believe Utility Vehicle (MBUV) that tries to pass as a police patrol car.

My III-equivalent front plate, worn concealed in the front pocket of my soft IIIA armor, has the advantage of being there if there is no time to armor-up, and being a first-responder, there may well be no time to do so. The plan to have a Level III-ish plate, small enough to stow up-front, light enough to wear longer than Level IV, that could be quickly shrugged into place on my back, offers a quicker, and perhaps more-realistic, alternative to plating-up with armor stowed in the rear compartment.

I already have a Level III 10x12" Shooter's Cut Velocity Systems plate. I just need a way to quickly don the thing.

Thanks, again. Y'all be safe out there.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-29-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    First Spear makes a very simple plate carrier to go on over soft armor. It's called he First On:
    http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17714
    Thanks! For some reason, I thought this one was discontinued. Thanks for the correction!

I like First Spear's quick-connect tube-style fastening system. I have a First Spear Strandhogg, with this feature. (It is too small for me to wear it over soft armor, and has its own IIIA armor, anyway.)

Edited to add: OK, I has half-right. The First On with the radio pouch is discontinued; the version with the GP Pouch is still available.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-29-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Speaking of First Spear and Tubes, there's this option as well: http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT...-p/fsr.550.htm
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Rex,

I have doubts that the plate will sit correctly on your back using a reversed rhodie.

I personally think the best and only appropriate option is to use a plate carrier....for your purposes, likely a bare bones plate carrier. The First On would be a good option because it would give you pouches for shotgun cards. If you want slick, the First Spear PC that John mentioned or a Ferro Concepts Slickster, or PIG BRIG.

If you can't deal with a real PC over your concealed armor + concealed mini-plate, I would consider ditching the mini-plate. It's not giving you much anyway and is more of a talisman IMO, so I think it might be better to just come to terms with the limits of realistic protection in the current threat environment.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-30-2017 at 06:58 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List