Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Escaped inmate kills warden's daughter

While watching this news story I was screaming at the TV. I've never been in corrections myself, but I did attend a hostage negotiator class with several corrections HN's. It seemed pretty apparent that female prison staff are aware that they are high risk victims for sex assault. Prison riots and hostage situations are more common than one may expect. History is littered with sex assaults on female staff.

Keeping an attractive teen daughter on prison grounds seems like a recipe for disaster. I had no idea this stuff happened. If anyone reading this ever runs into a "deal" where your prison offers you free housing please tell them to piss up a rope and resist the urge to be cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearqueer View Post
    While watching this news story I was screaming at the TV. I've never been in corrections myself, but I did attend a hostage negotiator class with several corrections HN's. It seemed pretty apparent that female prison staff are aware that they are high risk victims for sex assault. Prison riots and hostage situations are more common than one may expect. History is littered with sex assaults on female staff.

Keeping an attractive teen daughter on prison grounds seems like a recipe for disaster. I had no idea this stuff happened. If anyone reading this ever runs into a "deal" where your prison offers you free housing please tell them to piss up a rope and resist the urge to be cheap.

Just FYI - as LSP mentioned, many of the state prisons in LA (and some other southern states) are very remote prison farm complexes which cover many square miles. Angola state penitentiary for example is 18,000 acres or about 28 square miles.

There are usually several seperate prisons on the farm of varying security levels. The staff quarters are on the property but not inside the secure perimeter and normally not immediately adjacent to the individual prisons on the compex..

This would really be the same as living in one of the many small towns across the U.S. where the prison just outside town is the main employer.

According to the fake news the offender was a trustee doing some kind of work near the home. I can see how things are different at different places though for sure. Thanks HCM

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    It's a pity Frank Hamer is no longer with us.

There are no shortage of men with backbone and mettle like Hamer.

I call a couple of them friends.

The problem is that we have a society that no longer supports men who hunt down and kill animals who need killing.

As far as I am concerned, there are still cases where "He needed killing" is a perfectly reasonable response.

Unfortunately, too many people think that is a barbaric way of thinking today's society.

The animal in this story met that criteria, and fortunately it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    There are no shortage of men with backbone and mettle like Hamer.

I call a couple of them friends.

The problem is that we have a society that no longer supports men who hunt down and kill animals who need killing.

As far as I am concerned, there are still cases where "He needed killing" is a perfectly reasonable response.

Unfortunately, too many people think that is a barbaric way of thinking today's society.

The animal in this story met that criteria, and fortunately it happened.
    My apology if I gave any offense, it was certainly not my intention to denigrate the people involved in this manhunt.

What I should have expanded on was Captain Hamer was employed by the Texas department of Corrections during a time when rules were simpler. And our ideas coincide regarding apprehension of escaped murderers.

In my book, your friends are heroes.

Site Supporter
    I told my daughter this story, and that it is in my mind to give her a pistol before she returns to the university. She was more amenable to the idea than she has been in the past after a discussion about the ideal world we'd like to live in vs the real one we do, and the difference in desireability between being raped and murdered vs having to defend herself with lethal force.

We looked over all the pistols in the safe and are going shooting this week (she has been shooting casually since she was about 5), and I'm going to have her take the CCW class.

She asked me if it is okay at her school to have a gun. I told her there is a rule, but it isn't illegal, and that students are raped at her school every year, and students have been murdered there, but no university advertises that or makes it easy to find out about. So, informed and prepared, she will have to make her own decisions about it.

This is a horrible shame, and would be just as horrible if it happened to ANYONE's daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with the girl's family...

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My apology if I gave any offense, it was certainly not my intention to denigrate the people involved in this manhunt.

What I should have expanded on was Captain Hamer was employed by the Texas department of Corrections during a time when rules were simpler. And our ideas coincide regarding apprehension of escaped murderers.

In my book, your friends are heroes.

Brother I was tracking right along with what you were saying and your apology is appreciated but totally not needed.

Hamer was a solid dude, but that was a different era compared to today.

As an example, when he went after Bonnie and Clyde, he did not even try to take them alive, especially after they had murdered so many folks. He just organized an ambush and when they came to a stop, they opened fire and put an end to those murderous scum.

Not too many people had much of an issue with it as far as I can tell.

Today if that were to happen, people and the media would go nuts, there would be calls for immediate prosecution,prison for all officers involved, and prosecutors, defense and civil attorney alike would be doing lots of sanctimonious hand wringing, trying to make a name for themselves and get as much "Face time" as they could with the cameras.

The breed of men who hunt men, who prey on the weak has not changed, but society has.

Indeed, and much along the lines of what I was thinking.

How many people in our country know who Darren Wilson is, versus Frank Hamer? The former should be unknown outside his local area, and still a LEO if that was his wish.

It's "funny" how similiar the press that covered Frank Hamer in his day is to the press today. When I read the book about him I was struck by how they played the same cards even then.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List