Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Snub nose revolvers...simple question

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    Fantastic, just what I was looking for!
    There were videos of several of us on YouTube at one time. I'm not sure how to find them now.

The problem is not the guns themselves. The shorter barrel has harsher recoil and
    muzzle flip. The smaller handle, combined with the sometimes awkward trigger angle
    to the fingers makes the gun inherently harder to handle. But with practice, they can
    be very accurate. The general perception, however is that the guns are less accurate,
    fed by the fact that only those who are willing to practice enough will do well with
    these conveniently small pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
    The problem is not the guns themselves. The shorter barrel has harsher recoil and
    muzzle flip. The smaller handle, combined with the sometimes awkward trigger angle
    to the fingers makes the gun inherently harder to handle. But with practice, they can
    be very accurate. The general perception, however is that the guns are less accurate,
    fed by the fact that only those who are willing to practice enough will do well with
    Shorter sight picture is shorter sight picture.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Shorter sight picture is shorter sight picture.
    We're still talking about revolvers right?

Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic

Site Supporter
    Another way to say it is they are unforgiving to poor tecnigue and the short sight radius is the primary reason.

Site Supporter
    I see a lot of emphasis on the short sight radius. While I understand the obvious reason for this emphasis, in my experience the visibility or lack thereof of the sights in general and front sight in particular in various light conditions is far more important for good accuracy than the sight radius. Visibility in suboptimal lighting conditions (which may mean plenty of light but coming from the wrong direction) is often the biggest impediment to good accuracy with a snubnose revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    You have a valid point. Minimalist sights characterized by a shallow rear notch and small front blade do hinder accurate shot placement especially under poor light conditions. This fact is probably the best reason that snubs are back up or last ditch weapons these days. Within the last 15 years, my opinion is that more and more l.e. folks are spending time and effort to master the snub instead of merely qualifying with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post

The last time I shot a short barreled revolver was over 20 years ago, when a friend first taught me to shoot. He had been a military and LEO sniper as well as a local LEO then federal officer. I saw him shooting his revolver and he started us on Glocks. We also shot a 45, that the sights were damaged (why it was in the store), as well as being able to try his snubbie. It had more kick then the Glock 20 that I was firing, and he shown us what it was capable of, by shooting our targets down. The emphasis was learn safety and get general practice, then your sighting and quickness back from recoil will improve over time.
    Since that time I have been tempted this last year, (getting back into shooting) get one and shoot it again. But since tech has changed as well, I have been tempted to rent a revolver and either buy or rent (not available where I shoot), a Chiappa for comparison. I think the design moving the recoil, as well as other calibers (matching some of the other guns I have, so less ammo).

Comment withdrawn
    Last edited by camsdaddy; 08-09-2017 at 05:41 AM.

I find that the Apex trigger spring kit really helped my j-frame shooting.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List