Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snub nose revolvers...simple question

nice shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Snubs are not mechanically inaccurate. They are simply hard to shoot. Mostly due to weight of gun versus their trigger weight. This is heavily amplified with the super airweight guns. Also, grips often are not well fitted. With that said, what they do allow is for me to do two solid habits. First, to be armed all the time. Second, to be walking around with my hand on a gun and with a real street level 1 second draw.

HITS Revolver Super Test.

That is really the key.

My snubby is always in my non dominant front pocket, and a hand casually placed in a front pocket does not draw attention from most people.

As an aside, In the 90s, while doing uniformed patrol work I figured out (was shown the technique and the reasons why by an LE mentor) that a J Frame carried on the ankle was the way to go for me. I could get to it quickly while seated in the car, for dealing with unknown contacts, who would unexpectedly approach the window of your car.

It was blatantly obvious if you drew your service auto, by your body movements, and that would draw complaints. just a slight bend forwards would allow me to slip the J Frame into my hand, and then either have it pointed at the person, or slid under my thigh, until I determined their intent/threat level, etc. Obviously the vast majority of the times they were just normal people, with normal issues, or wanting to visit, complain, etc. Twice in the career, I pointed the J Frame at Ne'er Do Wells, while simultaneously exiting my vehicle. Neither time it was fired. Both times, scumbags who thought they had the upper hand, with me being "trapped" in my car, were both shocked at the turn of events.

I owe thanks to an older LE mentor/ USPSA buddy for showing me that technique early on, and have passed it on to many in the business.

My best group with a J Frame recently. Sights on the 640 Pro really help. Decent DA trigger also makes it easier. Shot from a rest at 15 yards:

Name:  IMG_8903.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  39.2 KB
    Last edited by LtDave; 08-02-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I can get offhand 4 inch 5 shot groups at 25 yards with my S&W 442 (1 7/8 inch barrel)and Black Hills 148 Gr. HBWC.

They are A-zone guns at 25 yards if you can do your part and find a load with a good POA/POI.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 08-02-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Did this yesterday:

Permanently broken finger and all still one handing it even though my ring finger won't completely wrap anymore. But it is getting stronger and I am getting better...

Smith 442. Shooting speer 135gr gdsb reloads w/unique running around 900fps

5"x8" ar-500 steel at 10 yards

Of course it has a wonderful Nelson Ford trigger job that I was testing out for the first time.

I have also practiced the 5x5x5 revolver standard on a B-8 that daggaboy talked about from concealment out of a galco stow and go carried appendix under a t-shirt using hand loaded 38+p 158 grainers:

Last edited by eb07; 08-02-2017 at 12:35 PM.

There is a learning curve to shooting them well, that can be a bit steeper than some folks want to invest in, but a fixed barrel and a good trigger give you very good mechanical accuracy potential.

Site Supporter
    I'm glad that the op asked the question, and I'm pleased that so many of our members see a J frames' accuracy potential. Snubs are a long time area of interest for me, and I always jump into the fray when the topic arises. But others said all the right things so there's little else to add except this: learn to shoot the snub double action and thereafter you will have no need for the single action feature. The "hammerless" 642 has the best of everything. You need at least a couple. Now for my controversial statement. When you master double action shooting, you will discover that your d.a. scores will beat s.a. scores.

In a legal self defense situation, when using a revolver, the dumbest at that you can do is cock the revolver single action. This point is one that I'd argue about, if I argued. I try not to waste my breath now days. One other thing. Don't let somebody "work" on your J frame. It's unforgiving when monkeyed with. I may introduce a separate thread on this subject and discuss acceptable minimums pertaining to J frame smithing. Before anyone asks about my credentials, let me say I don't have any.

A smooth trigger, well designed set of grips and a lot of ammo down range gets you going in the right direction.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    Does anyone have any videos of themselves shooting J-Frames at speed? I'm curious to see how you all use those things like that one guy's revolver FAST video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOjx...FZqmnFQMyy5RFQ

This was a local steel challenge match where several of us shot J-Frames for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOjx...FZqmnFQMyy5RFQ

This was a local steel challenge match where several of us shot J-Frames for fun.
    Fantastic, just what I was looking for!

User Tag List