Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snub nose revolvers...simple question

A personal point of reference, regarding accuracy with snub-guns:

In 2002, I transitioned to G22 duty pistols, when I realized my then-mandated Safariland 070 police duty holster was an unacceptable hindrance to attaining a proper initial firing grip on my 1911 duty pistols, at the outset of the draw. A Glock being more forgiving of this imperfect grip, and with a trigger that my medium-length index finger could effectively reach, made it the seemingly best candidate, among the four authorized duty pistol choices. (My 1911 pistols were "grandfathered" as duty pistols, as transitioning was not mandatory when duty pistol policy changed.) I added a G27, too. Well, the Glocks served well enough, but I could not shoot them better than my spur-less-hammer SP101 "back-up" snub revolver, and not much better than my J-Snub. (Actually, on a "bad" day, I might shoot the Glocks worse, while long-stroke DA would be more stress-proof.)

I soon sold the G27 to a colleague, and bought another spur-less-hammer SP101 snub , and then a snub SP101 with a hammer spur. Later, I added a 3.1" SP101. I carried two or three SP101 revolvers, or, sometimes, a medium-sized 4" revolver plus a snub-gun, during personal time, until well into the 2006-2008 time frame, when I worked P229 pistols into my personal-time carry equation, resuming my earlier habit of carrying my duty handgun during personal time. (I had switched to SIG DAK pistols, with optional slimmer triggers, as duty pistols, replacing the Glocks*, when it became OK with PD policy.)

Why multiple snub-guns? Well, first, ambidextrous access, because I am effectively ambidextrous with these weapons, and in the real world, something might hinder the availability/capability of either one of my hands. Secondly, speed of the "reload," and, and third, a speed loader pouch is about as bulky to conceal as a holstered snub-gun, anyway, so why not carry the whole weapon? (Nice, flat Speed Strips can supplement, of course.) A wild-card reason is that I can carry more places, as a Texas peace officer, than my wife can carry, as a handgun licensee. She could arm herself in an exigent circumstance.

*I am back with Glock duty pistols today, because Gen4 fits me much better than the Gen3 I used earlier, so I shoot them better, and because my chief OK'ed 9mm duty pistols about the same time .40 Snap & Whip became a bit too much for my aging hands/wrists. Concealing blocky Glocks on my skinny frame, however, is complicated by the wide, blocky Glock-y slide that protrudes so far to the rear, so I may well return to multiple-revolver carry after retirement.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-28-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Believe OP meant 649.
    Ah, yes, simple typo, I had forgotten about that one, even though I owned one for a while, before consolidating/thinning the herd. (I do, now, regret parting with it.)

Site Supporter
    in my opinion the single biggest obstacle to good accuracy with a snub revolver is the sights that many of them come with, which are difficult to see well under anything less than perfect light conditions. The heavy trigger doesn't help, but on most quality guns is not bad and can be learned.

Site Supporter
    My tightest grouping revolver is a Colt Detective Special ca.1975. It shoots golf ball size groups at seven yards with 158 grain SWC standard pressure loads, albeit three inches to the left.
    One of my gun wise Sergeants looked at it and said, "No wonder." "Look at the top of the frame in relation to the barrel." "It's off center.". Hopefully one of our local gunsmiths can turn the barrel in the frame just a bit to get things lined up...

J Frames are not inaccurate.

Short barreled revolvers are not inaccurate.

There are simply a whole bunch of people out there who simply cannot shoot. They parrot the same erroneous information they heard from another incompetent shooter, telling them how J Frames and other larger short barrel revolvers are strictly close quarters guns.

Ironically I was just posting pics in the Gallery section, in a J Frame thread.

These are pics at 7 & 10 yards.

I was not intending to do any real testing when I took those pics, I was actually out shooting a .45 Glock 21, working on accuracy:

For that matter, the J Frame groups are not even all that great, I just wanted to see the difference between shooting with and without the CT lasergrips, while trying to shoot a halfway decent group. I am sure if I was actually out practicing strictly J Frame and/or DA revolver stuff, some better results could be obtained, but it is a realistic showing of just throwing in some wadcutters, while taking a quick break from shooting the Glock.

Anyways,
    I have run my J Frame out to 50 yards at rifle quals, and especially when aided with a set of CT laser sights, it really is not too much of an issue keeping them in the black.

Take a nice K Frame, like a 2.5" Model 19 with traditional adjustable sights and anybody who is any sort of decent shot, should have no issue at all.

Every time I'm at the outdoor range I run a box of 38 through whichever j frame I'm carrying on the 100 yard reduced size steel silhouette just for fun. Usually that's a 342 unless I have the presence of mind to remember to bring the model 60 and spare my hand. I generally go 3-4 for 5 in a cylinder, and I'm not at all a particularly good shooter; you just need decent trigger control. Mechanically they're very accurate.

ETA: can't remember exact target size
    Last edited by scott; 07-28-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Does anyone have any videos of themselves shooting J-Frames at speed? I'm curious to see how you all use those things like that one guy's revolver FAST video.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    25 yards with my 442, one handed unsupported

looks accurate to me...nice shooting

Snub nose revolvers...simple question

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Snubbies are mechanically accurate.
    Thanks for the video.

I'm often in Montana. One of the things I highly regret is not dropping off a couple of SAAs to have Bob slick them up for me. I always thought 'Next time I drive through here, I'll have to remember to stop by & drop them off.'

Not only was Bob a talented shooter, he was an excellent gunsmith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by SamAdams; 07-31-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Snubs are not mechanically inaccurate. They are simply hard to shoot. Mostly due to weight of gun versus their trigger weight. This is heavily amplified with the super airweight guns. Also, grips often are not well fitted. With that said, what they do allow is for me to do two solid habits. First, to be armed all the time. Second, to be walking around with my hand on a gun and with a real street level 1 second draw.

HITS Revolver Super Test.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List