Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub nose revolvers...simple question

Snub nose revolvers...simple question

I always hear people say that snub nose revolvers are in accurate. I find it hard to believe that as many as has been sold that its the truth. Is it that there just harder to shoot with accuracy and you have to put the time in to learn to shoot it well. I have never owned one or shot one, but I would to some day ( a nice 469 smith and Wesson). Anyhow they look like they would be the perfect carry gun for protection and just walking around the yard with and shooting random targets with.

They are not inaccurate, at least I have never found them to be. They simply require, as does any handgun, a modicum of training and experience.
    Last edited by blues; 07-28-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

That is what I thought as well. It always gets me how people will buy anything and never put the time or effort to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    That is what I thought as well. It always gets me how people will buy anything and never put the time or effort to learn.
    It helps keep the economy afloat.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

25 yards with my 442, one handed unsupported

Last edited by eb07; 07-28-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Snub nose revolvers...simple question

I've done a similar feat to this, although it was from a pocket holster draw, with a Steel framed 649, 158 grain semi-wadcutter HP .38's at 140 yards.

MOST j frames, unless they have a QC issue (and that DOES happen) are inherently more accurate than the boob at the controls. Every time I think I've found a shite load or something incompatible, I bench rest it and prove that I'm the weakest link. Not being a jerk, but 9/10, I'll give the pistol the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 07-28-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Mechanically, they're perfectly accurate. Short sight radius and normally heavy triggers, added to smallish grips that make getting a really good firing grip established make it a good bit more challenging for the shooter to wring that accuracy out of one. Someone that has their fundamentals down cold can absolutely make one sing though.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Snubbies are mechanically accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    I always hear people say that snub nose revolvers are in accurate. I find it hard to believe that as many as has been sold that its the truth. Is it that there just harder to shoot with accuracy and you have to put the time in to learn to shoot it well. I have never owned one or shot one, but I would to some day ( a nice 469 smith and Wesson). Anyhow they look like they would be the perfect carry gun for protection and just walking around the yard with and shooting random targets with.
    The S&W Model 469 is a snubby revolver? No, it is a double-column-magazine 9mm pistol, a semi-compact slide/barrel unit on a not-so-compact frame. Anyway, I like your post. Asking questions is a good thing.

As for the main question, a shorter barrel, in and of itself, is not less accurate than a longer barrel. The smaller gripping can complicate accuracy potential for those with larger hands. The shorter sight radius can complicate the act of accurately lining-up the sights. The tiny dimensions of some snub-guns' sights can further complicate the act of attaining a good sight picture. Plus, those of us who like a bit of forward-balance heft are likely to favor a longer barrel.

One more factor that may, or may not, work against shooting a small weapon well, is the distance of the trigger face from the web of the shooter's hand. Having to contort one's trigger finger "just so," at any point in the trigger stroke, can be a complicating factor in keeping the sights on-target.

I have long but narrow hands, medium-length index and middle fingers, relatively short/slim thumbs and ring fingers, and ridiculously small/thin pinkies, so can actually grip a J-snub with "boot" grips, or an SP101 with OEM grips, quite well, with my middle, ring, and pinkie fingers all able to effectively contribute to a firm grip. I can get quite good performance from these small weapons, with my aging eyes being a limiting factor. This does not mean, however, that I have ever been able to shoot an SP101 nearly as well as a GP100, or a J-snub nearly as well as a K/L-Frame revolver. The longer gripping areas of the larger revolvers stabilize better against the heel of my firing hand, and my support hand has enough available real estate to contribute more support.

As I near retirement from LEO-ing, and more interesting in carrying AIWB, I am now kicking myself for not buying one or more 2" K-snub-guns sooner, as they have become collectible firearms, with high asking prices for well-preserved samples.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-28-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The S&W Model 469 is a snubby revolver? No, it is a double-column-magazine 9mm pistol, a semi-compact slide/barrel unit on a not-so-compact frame.
    Believe OP meant 649.

User Tag List