Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Competition and PERSEC

Competition and PERSEC

Going to my very first match tomorrow, a local GSSF match but I have some concerns regarding how your name and scores show up on a Google search. I have a VERY unique combination of a first and last name, I am quite confident that I am the only person in the world with such a name and this results in an accurate Google search of my name and what I've done in the past in terms of school club related things from +10 years ago.

What really disturbs me is that people can find my damn address and figure out my age thanks to those s̶t̶a̶l̶k̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶w̶e̶b̶s̶i̶t̶e̶s̶ "people finding" websites through a quick 1 minute Google search which I absolutely need to get removed. Is there a way to opt out from having your scores listed when doing GSSF or USPSA or is this something I have to deal with in order to compete? To those who have fairly unique names, how do you deal with this?

Site Supporter
    Register under a fake name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have thought about this as well and using a fake name would do the job.

"Nermal Alouisius" is taken.

Competition and PERSEC

Rant removed as it doesn't aid in discussion.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-28-2017 at 07:41 AM.

USPSA only lists first name and last initial in the results for people who aren't logged in to the website as a USPSA member, so there's *less* concern there. Not zero, of course, but less, since presumably you don't mind the people you shoot the matches with knowing your name.

I was on FaceBook as Harry Balz until my wife gave me flack about it.

My first name is highly common. Last name is quite rare. Very likely the only guy in the U.S.A. with my name combo. I can't find another one.

Back to add: Well someone came along and snatched my old faceBook alias. Oh Well. Funny though it appears to be another gun guy and I recognized one of his friends as a past frequent poster on the old Glock Talk forum.
    Last edited by JohnO; 07-28-2017 at 08:17 AM.

I am aware of at least one person, using "Tactical Pickles," as a nom de plume.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Sounds good on the USPSA bit, going to go to the GSSF shoot later on today and ask them if they know anything about opting out of the scoreboard. Hopefully they do because I'm excited to shoot at my first match and would hate to back out of it at the last second.

Site Supporter
    Offer a consistent fake name - I've never been asked for my ID. Just tell them you'd rather not have your real name pushed out there :-)

If you win a cash prize, how do you cash the check from GSSF if you use an alias? The gun certificate could probably be worked out with your ffl.

if you don't expect to win anything, not an issue I guess.

User Tag List