Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger gp100 6" in stainless steel.

Well thank you for all the help. I made a mistake it is in .357 not .38. I will more than likely shoot .38 out of it most of the time. I bet it is one hell of a yard gun the only problem I live in the city and they frown upon that.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Second pistol I owned was a SS GP100 6" in .357 mag. Would like to have it for a yard gun now, but alas it's long gone. I'm a huge fan of .357 Magnum, not so much a fan of guns chambered in .38 SPL. I'm all for Shooting less expensive and less punishing .38 SPL, but being stuck with it full time and not having the choice to up my game to .357 mag loads is a handicap I'm not excited about in a pistol.
    Same here. Unless you've got some weird registration/availability issues, I'd go for the .357 mag for a GP100.

If I was stuck with a .38, there's some pretty stout brass and "Ruger only" type loading info out there to push the .38 into mid-range .357 territory, though.

My 6" GP100 .357 has an excellent action (worked over by Marc Morganti of Gemini Customs), and handles any .357 Magnum with aplomb.

Less felt recoil than any .357 revolver made by S&W. Certainly not a carry gun (at least not for me!), but a real pussycat to shoot with full power loads, even 158gr.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

While a .357 can certainly shoot .38 Special, be aware that a carbon ring will build up in the front of each cylinder chamber where there's the additional space for .357; usually scrubbing with a bronze or stainless bore brush, or a tornado brush will get rid of it.

Alternatively, you could shoot .357 cartridges loaded to .38 Special power levels.

I personally prefer 125 gr .38 Special +P Golden Sabers for carry, and UMC 125 gr +P .38 Specials for practice and matches with both my GP100 and Security Six-but that's me. In my Ruger Blackhawk, I only use 158 gr .357 magnums, but I also have the 9mm cylinder for plinking and practice.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    While a .357 can certainly shoot .38 Special, be aware that a carbon ring will build up in the front of each cylinder chamber where there's the additional space for .357; usually scrubbing with a bronze or stainless bore brush, or a tornado brush will get rid of it.

Alternatively, you could shoot .357 cartridges loaded to .38 Special power levels.

I personally prefer 125 gr .38 Special +P Golden Sabers for carry, and UMC 125 gr +P .38 Specials for practice and matches with both my GP100 and Security Six-but that's me. In my Ruger Blackhawk, I only use 158 gr .357 magnums, but I also have the 9mm cylinder for plinking and practice.

Best, Jon
    Thanks Jon I will write down the loads down you had posted. I will have to try the 357 catridge loaded with a .38 load. I load a 20 gauge load in my 12 gauge shot gun for trap and skeet and the gun shoots great so I will have to give it a try in a pistol.

Deleted. (Should not post while overly fatigued.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-30-2017 at 09:16 AM.

User Tag List