Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinkering vs Steady

Good feedback- I pretty much have round down pat and produced around 500 so far. I enjoy reloading especially since I had plenty of leftover powder, bullets and caps from last year. I keep very little factory rounds on hand anymore...easier to justify the Dillon purchase to the boss when I reload vs order 1000 rounds from SG ammo.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Both.

I've got 'go to' loads for practice, and they didn't vary for a LONG time until the post-Sandy Hook shortages made me branch out and try new powders.

I do tinker with various revolver loads for funsies.
    I'm like this. Almost never chnage my practice loads unless supply gets in the way. Revolver stuff is just fun to play with.

Site Supporter
    For pistol I load in bulk and do not tinker. When components get scarce, I tinker just enough to get another standard load. I tinker some with long range rifle ammo for 308, 6.5G, and 6.5CM but even then I try to find a classic load and just copy it - for example a 308 FGGM clone load.

I wish I could find a load that worked well in my g19 and g34. However it seems one like 124s and the other like 147s, at least with Titegroup. If I could find a load that worked in all my glocks I'd just stop there but I do tinker because I'm still searching for that perfect load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Revolver stuff is just fun to play with.
    Right? Particularly with .45 Colt. There's so much versatility with some of the big bores. I'm not doing anything other than punching paper or ringing steels with them, but it's fun.

I load for economy and availability. I've standardized on 5.0gr of WSF under a 124gr bullet and have been running that load for years. I switched from Montana Gold to Bayou Bullets to save $$$ and have been happy with them so far.

Seems like every time I get standardized on loads, something interferes; availability/unavailability and curiosity, mostly.
    Right now I have two 9mm loads for IDPA. They differ only in the bullet; powder charge and seating die setting are the same for 135 gr BBI coated and 147 gr Xtreme plated. My Colt ESP pretty well demands the plated, I may not restock on coated when I run out, they are all being shot in the SA.
    I also have a 115 gr JHP reload for practice with something close to my carry factory load.
    So right now that is three 9mms, eventually just two.

.45 ACP is kind of a mess. I have multiple loads for different niche applications, although I am not experimenting much.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    I load for economy and availability. I've standardized on 5.0gr of WSF under a 124gr bullet and have been running that load for years. I switched from Montana Gold to Bayou Bullets to save $$$ and have been happy with them so far.
    That is my load too - Bayou 124 and WSF.

For practice ammo (9mm, .45, and a few other) I do not tinker. That's what rifles and TC Contenders and Encores are for.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I tend to find a combination of components that meets my needs and stick to it. I started loading practice .38 ammo for work thirty-five years ago with Bullseye and inexpensive swaged.38 SWC bullets that shot decently enough but leaded some. Moved on to WW 231 when I bought myself a Pacific powder measure soon afterwards.
    Stopped reloading when work went to 9mm and dumped the sixguns for Austrian Tupperware.
    Started again in 2013 when factory ammo availability and expense was nonexistent and significant, respectively.
    My small stash of 231 was soon gone and there was no more.
    I lucked into a four pound keg of WST that worked OK for .38, 9mm, .40 and .45 auto, but not optimal for my purposes.
    I wanted to develop a service equivalent load in each caliber with one standard bullet weight per caliber.
    BE-86 powder has exceeded my expectations with all four service rounds with equal or slightly higher velocity than service ammo and good to excellent accuracy for the type of shooting I do.
    The only new reloading project on the horizon is to get some 2400 and work up a 38-44 equivalent handload for my .38 GP-100.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 07-28-2017 at 08:18 PM.

User Tag List