Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tinkering vs Steady

OP,

Put it this way. Rob Leatham gave me a recipe of 4.3 grains of Clays and a 200 grain SWC for my .45 ACP back around 1994 (rough guess). It is still what I run. No need to change, and while every now and then I mess with something else, like a heavy "animal defense" type load, better than 99% of my paper and steel loads are the same old 4.3 grains of Clays load.

For 44 magnum I run a light, medium and heavy load. 3 basic loads that cover everything. It makes both loading and logistics quite easy.

Logistically, buying powder by the 8 pound keg helps a bunch too.

I like to shoot.

I would rather be shooting than reloading.

Site Supporter
    I use 4.3 grains Clays with 200 SWC also. Nice to know that TGO recommends it!

Part of my tinkering is to try and get cross-pollination between shotgun and pistol. You are constantly churning through eight pounders with shotgun loading so using something there that can load 45 and 9 (and probably 38) makes sense. Primarily I load 12g and 20g both with 3/4oz for skeet, and I have yet to find something that will do both, and probably will not. Hodgdon only lists International for 20g-3/4, so that probably has to stand on its own. Been using 700-X for 12g-3/4 because Clays was unavailable. Now Clays is available again but during the shortage I ended up with a metric buttload of TiteGroup, a great powder but lots of smoke with cast bullets. So, I ASPIRE to NOT tinket at ALL with loads for things like 9/45/38, but am still using up what I got and then will either switch to Clays for 12/9/45/38, or maybe stick with 700-X, because it will probably always be easier to get than Clays (it is very popular).

ETA: I probably should do some drop charge tests with 700-X before I use it all up in 12g and am forced to make a decision...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 07-29-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Tinkering vs Steady

Only time I change is when one of my components changes, I.e new bullet or different powder.

I just killed my 8 lb jug of WSF (4.2 under a 147 gr) and bought another lb just to finish up these 147 gr bullets I have. Next up is a 124 gr power pistol load, as I have a bunch of PP and just ordered 2500 124 gr bullets.

I find myself handloading (and enjoying!) for my 41 mag more. Turn the Lee turret into a single stage, hand weigh each charge, and take a couple of hours to load a box. FWIW I do not enjoy reloading 9mm, it's just another chore so I can shoot as much as I want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richiecotite; 07-31-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I confess to being a tinkerer, believing it's possible to eventually have the perfectly tailored load for each gun.
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

User Tag List