Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinkering vs Steady

Tinkering vs Steady

Once you develop a solid pistol load that is shot a few hundred times, do you find yourself tinkering with other powders or bullets? Or do you the set up the same because you have something that works?
    I've got a good round developed for me and was going to make a mass supply purchase next month.
    My thought is why mess with what works? Anyone have any other thoughts?
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Both.

I've got 'go to' loads for practice, and they didn't vary for a LONG time until the post-Sandy Hook shortages made me branch out and try new powders.

I do tinker with various revolver loads for funsies.

I like to have two or three known good loads, just in case of shortages or whatnot. Once I have those, I'll just mass produce them. I also keep detailed notes on what they are so if I don't make one for several months I dont forget it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I like to have two or three known good loads, just in case of shortages or whatnot. Once I have those, I'll just mass produce them. I also keep detailed notes on what they are so if I don't make one for several months I dont forget it.
    That, exactly. I do try a bit to find one load that works well in all of them, but rarely succeed.

The modifier I'll make is if I have a few firearms in the same caliber that like bullet weight/charges at opposite ends of the spectrum. In this case, my seating die has a micrometer in it, and my powder drop has a click adjust wheel. In my notes and on a card on the press are the settings for each load and what pistol they're for.

Then I'll crank out mass ones and store them in marked 30s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. I wish to tinker as little as possible. I've got a good 124gr load and a good 147gr load, both work well in my Glocks to the point that I know it's me if the groups look bad or a shot is shanked. Unfortunately, my new love (Scorpion Evo) prefers only the 124s.
    #RESIST

Tinker as little as possible since my rounds are mostly for practice. One exception is 10mm, an ongoing work in progress.

Site Supporter
    Depends on the gun. In handguns, I don't tinker much anymore, though I should. In rifles, I love tinkering. I have my "go to" loads for hunting and such, but I like to try unusual things. For example, I cast my own 120gr 32cal bullets for my 32SWL and 32-20. I take those same bullets, size them to .309, and shoot them out of my 308Win with 8gr of Trail Boss. I've also experimented with 200gr bullets in that gun, or 300+gr cast bullets in my 35Whelen (as well as 200gr full wadcutters). Once upon a time, I tried 240gr bullets in my 300WinMag (ouchie). Shooting and reloading doesn't have to be so serious all the time.

Chris

I reload solely for the economy of it, not because I think I'm smarter than the hundred pound heads employed by ammo companies. I've seen very few mad scientist loads actually perform anywhere other than on paper. If that's someone else's hobby, who am I to judge? But tinkering defeats the purpose of shooting more bullets for less money. And I still rely on factory ammunition for my high performance loads.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Tinkering vs Steady

I'm in the bulk-production camp for pistol reloading. But I also prefer my minor power factor loads to anything commercial for practice and gaming.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-27-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I tinker as little as possible. The shortages of the last few years forced me to experiment and develop several acceptable loads, but that's it. I actually dislike reloading. I like to shoot and it's a necessary evil, but it's not a science experiment for me.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List