Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LEOSA: New York City: Mag Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I actually got some folks I care about up there...so LEOSA is a good thing in that regard...and I don't think we really need to travel down that road in this thread in any case.
    Apologies for any offense, this was intended as humor.

LEOSA exemptions are good for a few, but as a law abiding civilian it does leave a bad taste in my mouth. This brings out my edge.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Blues,

I was just in NYC the week before Christmas. The WTC NYPD PCT was happy to check my handguns while I visited the ground zero site. They had lock boxes behind the front desk. The officers that were on duty were awesome guys! When asking several working cops about the NY mag limits, "SAFE" act, and LEOSA there was a consensus that the legality of the items possessed was open to interpretation. The wrong decision maker(cop, boss, DA) and a non-pc event could result in an arrest. You may prevail in court but at what cost? Based on the discussions it was best to stick to guns that were clearly legal (revolvers, G43, Kahr etc). I carried J frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Blues,

I was just in NYC the week before Christmas. The WTC NYPD PCT was happy to check my handguns while I visited the ground zero site. They had lock boxes behind the front desk. The officers that were on duty were awesome guys! When asking several working cops about the NY mag limits, "SAFE" act, and LEOSA there was a consensus that the legality of the items possessed was open to interpretation. The wrong decision maker(cop, boss, DA) and a non-pc event could result in an arrest. You may prevail in court but at what cost? Based on the discussions it was best to stick to guns that were clearly legal (revolvers, G43, Kahr etc). I carried J frames.
    Thanks, Jason. NYC is certainly a minefield in more ways than one. Appreciate the info.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

As a retired fed that would seem to cover you. As a old State guy, it's my understanding mag limits apply to me and I factor that according when I'm in MA and CT, which is routinely now that my fiancée lives in RI.

G26 and SIG P239s rule.
    Last edited by LSP552; 07-27-2017 at 04:26 PM.

10 round mag limit.

If you are going through NJ don't bring hollow points, yes I know they are actually legal under leosa but you think that you won't get locked up regardless?

Same goes for NY/NYC, don't bring higher capacity mags, an nyc DA would literally foam at the mouth in charging an officer out of state on leosa challenge grounds.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    As a retired fed that would seem to cover you. As a old State guy, it's my understanding mag limits apply to me and I factor that according when I'm in MA and CT, which is routinely now that my fiancée lives in RI.

G26 and SIG P239s rule.
    I was thinking about your situation Ken as it does leave a hole in the coverage for retired LEOs who are not either feds or from a NY agency.

I'm inclined to stand up for and exercise my rights under the law despite the fear that has justly or unjustly been cast upon us. Failure to do so weakens our chances of moving forward or even retaining them...imho, of course.

My service record "should" speak for itself though I know that my idealism will get me exactly nothing. That said, you gotta stand for something.
    Last edited by blues; 07-27-2017 at 04:56 PM.

I have a FEDS LEOSA PLI policy for retired federal agents. I've just written to them asking for an opinion on both the carry of magazines with greater than ten round capacity in NYC by retired (federal) law enforcement officers...as well as hollow point ammo in NJ.

I'll share any response upon receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I was thinking about your situation Ken as it does leave a hole in the coverage for retired LEOs who are not either feds or from a NY agency.

I'm inclined to stand up for and exercise my rights under the law despite the fear that has justly or unjustly been cast upon us. Failure to do so weakens our chances of moving forward or even retaining them...imho, of course.

My service record "should" speak for itself though I know that my idealism will get me exactly nothing. That said, you gotta stand for something.
    I won't break the law, but I will exercise my rights under it. I hate the 10 round mag restrictions, but have to live with it until the law changes.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I won't break the law, but I will exercise my rights under it. I hate the 10 round mag restrictions, but have to live with it until the law changes.
    I hope the response I receive will have some relevant info for you as well...assuming that someone is willing to venture an opinion.

I agree with you, however, that the act seems to leave a gaping hole on the magazine issue in your situation and would be a no-win situation currently. And it's anybody's guess what they'll make of it on the federal side since it's as nebulous and vague as possible.
    Last edited by blues; 07-27-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Blues,

Thanks for posting this. The ability to take advantage of such courtesies is one reason I am thinking I should try to visit NYC, particularly the WTC, while still an active LEO. I would, probably, carry SP101 revolvers.

User Tag List