Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA: New York City: Mag Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I recently had a fun encounter with TSA where they held my carry-on for screening because I had a loose round of 9mm in the bag (whoops), and yet with all that fuss missed the Cold Steel punch dagger I also had in the bag.

Good job.
    I carried on a Glock 19 magazine with 15 rounds and no one found it. Forgot I had put it in my bag on a Friday afternoon headed to the range.

One of the most tense 10-15 minutes of my life was flying out of Islamabad circa summer 2000 at the end of a protection mission. Somehow I ended up with a fully loaded P228 magazine in one of the interior pockets of the bag I was traveling with. The Pakistani screeners saw it, but didn't know what I was. I was able to produce a spare radio battery from a similarly placed EXTERNAL pocket and convinced them that was what they were seeing. If that hadn't worked out, it would have been off to Pakistani jail and international incident time...

What's funny is I left the US (TX-O'Hare) and transited through Heathrow with that same bag and magazine on the way over, and no one ever spotted it...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    One of the most tense 10-15 minutes of my life was flying out of Islamabad circa summer 2000 at the end of a protection mission. Somehow I ended up with a fully loaded P228 magazine in one of the interior pockets of the bag I was traveling with. The Pakistani screeners saw it, but didn't know what I was. I was able to produce a spare radio battery from a similarly placed EXTERNAL pocket and convinced them that was what they were seeing. If that hadn't worked out, it would have been off to Pakistani jail and international incident time...

What's funny is I left the US (TX-O'Hare) and transited through Heathrow with that same bag and magazine on the way over, and no one ever spotted it...
    Sometimes it's just blind dumb luck. My buddy and I drove from NYC to CA with no tags on his Opel (temp papers in the glove box) and never got stopped once. Who'd have believed it?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

When we (Sgt and two handlers) flew from Phoenix to Dallas last August we all had checked firearms. Absolutely no grief from Southwest who sent us over to TSA to check the luggage. They knew we were off duty cops checking guns. We weren't the first handlers to go through security that morning. They emptied my bosses suitcase. They searched the other handlers bag extensively. They searched my bag and swiped every bag. Mine returned for some abnormality that required a supervisor to check it. We waited 15+ minutes for the supervisor. He looked at a clipboard and cleared it. This was the agent knowing we had guns/ammo and had declared them. They never told us what the swipe showed.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

How many of these TSA folks applied for LEO work and didn't make the cut?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

60%, the remaining knew theywere to fat, old or had no command of the English language.

Guess I should now cancel the September flight

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Sometimes it's just blind dumb luck. My buddy and I drove from NYC to CA with no tags on his Opel (temp papers in the glove box) and never got stopped once. Who'd have believed it?
    I can't believe you made it from NYC to NJ, much less CA, in an Opel . . .

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Blues - legally you're OK under LEOSA, exempt from magazine restrictions. As always, discretion bladdah bladdah bladdah, because I GUARANTEE that most state/local LE in NYistan don't know or care about who's exempted...

Also the exemption authorizes "comparable replacements" so if you want to carry your Gen4, that's GTG as well.

There is no exemption under LEOSA for magazine capacity. None at all.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    There is no exemption under LEOSA for magazine capacity. None at all.
    I think he was referring to the magazine provisions for LEOs and retired LEOs under the SAFE Act but as discussed earlier it left too many potential gotchas to dick around with. So, in an abundance of caution I took ten round magazines with my G26 to NY and put the matter to rest.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think he was referring to the magazine provisions for LEOs and retired LEOs under the SAFE Act but as discussed earlier it left too many potential gotchas to dick around with. So, in an abundance of caution I took ten round magazines with my G26 to NY and put the matter to rest.
    Playing it safe. That's exactly what I gravitated to for visiting family in NYC. I really like my G26. If the neutered G19 magazines were actually reliable, I would likely carry my G19 but I don't shoot the G26 too much worse. Plus, it fits in my pocket for when I just need to walk the family dog around the block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List