Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Self Study

I like magpuls DVD.

You do have to be able to separate the wheat from the chafe and objectively look at your own shooting to pick it apart, analyze, and critique.

@jlw at First Person Safety puts on an excellent shotgun class. Actually two. The cost is very reasonable and well worth the money. If there is one that is with a reasonable distance I’d recommend jumping on the opportunity.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Did a search to find this thread.

Looks like a great resource and some good links. Thanks to the OP.

I find myself interested in a shotgun. I’m in FL, and with recent bad storms a shotgun seems like a pretty good deterrent to assholes who might wander uninvited into my neighborhood after a storm.

Hence, the interest.

I have zip for shotgun experience. Maybe shot a 14 ga on the farm as a yute a couple times, is about it.

I’ll be looking at this thread and others to see if my questions are answered (probably are). At this point I don’t know what I don’t know.
    It appears that Tom Givens is doing a "Social Shotgun" block at 2019 Tac Con.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I like magpuls DVD.

You do have to be able to separate the wheat from the chafe and objectively look at your own shooting to pick it apart, analyze, and critique.
    I have that set.

@Rich_Jenkins
    If you want to borrow it, PM me your address.

Chris

Here is a simplified shotgun class. Buy a Beretta 1301 and 50 rounds of Federal FC buck. Shoot one round at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35 yards. Take a picture of the spread at each distance with your phone for future reference. If you have an old Surefire light, use electrical tape to attach it to the shotgun. Load the tube with Federal, leave the chamber empty, and lock the shotgun into your gun safe. If you ever need it, work a round into the chamber, shoot the shotgun until it is empty, draw your pistol and carry on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is a simplified shotgun class. Buy a Beretta 1301 and 50 rounds of Federal FC buck. Shoot one round at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35 yards. Take a picture of the spread at each distance with your phone for future reference. If you have an old Surefire light, use electrical tape to attach it to the shotgun. Load the tube with Federal, leave the chamber empty, and lock the shotgun into your gun safe. If you ever need it, work a round into the chamber, shoot the shotgun until it is empty, draw your pistol and carry on.
    I think there is great value in learning how to load efficiently and managing recoil effectively which needs a few more rounds.

These are great for doing load/unload and action cycling exercises at home -

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod67708.aspx

I listened to this podcast today at the gym:

http://ballisticradio.com/2018/08/25...uly-30th-2018/

I thought it was very informative. Mr. Haught's comments on the use of the shotgun were pretty interesting to me as a potential shotgun noob.

I was looking at my local indoor range's web site and it appears they offer shotgun rentals. Since I was new to handguns in 2014, that's what I did when I wanted to know more about guns - I spent quite a few sessions going through the rental case. So I might have a go at the shop sometime, and shoot a box of shells to get a feel for these.

I'm not sure at this point whether this is a want or a need. I have decide whether it's worth the investment to me, in my situation (generally urban living, professional type) or I should take the same time/money and spend it on more training, 9mm ammo and practice. I suspect if I do the math, while having a shotgun is "cool", I'm not yet seeing the benefit in my life expectancy over say putting down that Pizza and doing a few more minutes on the elliptical machine.

So I think for now I'll keep thinking about it, reading some more and (possibly) go up to the indoor range and see what they have in terms of rental shotguns. From what I understand a 870 Police seems to be the Glock 19 of shotguns (forgive me, like I said I have no idea what I don't know), so in terms of a benchmark I guess I'm using that model/type.

Appreciate all the inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    It appears that Tom Givens is doing a "Social Shotgun" block at 2019 Tac Con.
    Thanks, David, I will look into that segment. I'm currently going to Tac Con solo this year. I'll have to see if Tom would let in a student that doesn't actually own a shotgun.

PS Hope all are well at home. Bet they are getting big.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I listened to this podcast today at the gym:

http://ballisticradio.com/2018/08/25...uly-30th-2018/

I thought it was very informative. Mr. Haught's comments on the use of the shotgun were pretty interesting to me as a potential shotgun noob.

I was looking at my local indoor range's web site and it appears they offer shotgun rentals. Since I was new to handguns in 2014, that's what I did when I wanted to know more about guns - I spent quite a few sessions going through the rental case. So I might have a go at the shop sometime, and shoot a box of shells to get a feel for these.

I'm not sure at this point whether this is a want or a need. I have decide whether it's worth the investment to me, in my situation (generally urban living, professional type) or I should take the same time/money and spend it on more training, 9mm ammo and practice. I suspect if I do the math, while having a shotgun is "cool", I'm not yet seeing the benefit in my life expectancy over say putting down that Pizza and doing a few more minutes on the elliptical machine.

So I think for now I'll keep thinking about it, reading some more and (possibly) go up to the indoor range and see what they have in terms of rental shotguns. From what I understand a 870 Police seems to be the Glock 19 of shotguns (forgive me, like I said I have no idea what I don't know), so in terms of a benchmark I guess I'm using that model/type.

Appreciate all the inputs.
    I have a bunch of 870 shotguns, NFA and longer, many worked over by Vang, Brockman, Robar. At one point, I spent a bunch of effort developing and maintaining pump action skills. Betweeen Benelli and Beretta, other than pure cost, there is almost no argument, besides launching oddd loads or crazy extreme conditions like north of the Arctic Circle cold, for a pump for defensive use. And, most of my best performing 870 shotguns cost way more than a suitable Beretta or a Benelli. A Beretta or Benelli functions more like your Glock 19, where a pump is more like a single action revolver. Besides being able to be shot way faster, a quality semi is likely to be more reliable for all but the most dedicated pump shooters.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List