Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Self Study

Brownells's also carries the A-Zoom 12 gauge snaps caps. I have a bunch, and they have worked well for my on reloading practice.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod5176.aspx

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LGChris View Post
    LG's stuff is some of the best gun related content I've seen on the interwebs with respect to both quality of production and content.

Glad to see you are a member here.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 08-04-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Site Supporter
    I'm a pump gun man, yet I'm convinced that untrained shooters will have more malfunctions with a pump than a semi auto. Pumps require positive and hard motion in both directions: all the way back and all the way forward. Everybody knows this, but many can't do it right. Next, keep some forward pressure on the slide until the gun fires.Then pump like hell. Keeping forward pressure on the slide until it goes bang is essential for trouble free 870 operation. For either brand, extraction malfunctions can usually be fixed by chamber cleaning and then polishing with 0000 steel wool. My experiece is that chambers in both brands require this treatment as a first step. Doing so will eliminate many head aches. Also, I've observed that many crappy shotgun shells are on the market. I refer to birdshot offerings that you might use for practice. I have pumps that won't work with some of these. The last case of S&B buckshot that I bought even has extraction issues in some but not all of my shotguns. This statment does not indict the brand but points out that specs can and will vary because of tolerance issues. Law enforcement buckshot brands are the only way to go for serious users. If you are a.serious user and desire bird shot for any reason(?), then buy Winchester AA Trap Loads. I can explain why an AR beats trumps a shotgun. However, I've never found an AR that I can grab, mount, and have it shoot where I look. Inside my house, that's a hard combo to beat.

I find it interesting and informative to see just how, in the last half century, gear and techniques and understanding of both evolve. I also find it interesting "to see what people looked like back then". Notice no 400# scooter users?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I find it interesting and informative to see just how, in the last half century, gear and techniques and understanding of both evolve. I also find it interesting "to see what people looked like back then". Notice no 400# scooter users?
    That cop should have used Federal Flite control!

Cool video. Interesting to see when the shotgun reigned supreme vs the carbine.

"whirl, fire, and blow the guy away" - probably couldn't say that in a training video today.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 08-10-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    That cop should have used Federal Flite control!

Cool video. Interesting to see when the shotgun reigned supreme vs the carbine.

"whirl, fire, and blow the guy away" - probably couldn't say that in a training video today.
    I was all impressed by the White cop, Black cop, and Asian cop. It totally would have "passed" in today's PC culture!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I was all impressed by the White cop, Black cop, and Asian cop. It totally would have "passed" in today's PC culture!
    You must've missed the "Mod Squad".

The shotgun lives! I don't think I could ever be truly happy without one as an alternative or adjunct to other long gun options.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    In the same boat, and hoping to attend one of Tom's courses soon--in the meantime, some excellent resources mentioned above. The dummy rounds were invaluable for me--I have some from Brownells that are very good. What they are selling currently looks a little different but looks like a good option:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod67708.aspx
    I use these - they have the same weight, balance and feel as a normal shell. They also hold up far better than the plastic versions.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That is correct, I have attached a photo of the cover.

And good luck on the SBS stamps. I am waiting on my second, and hope it comes quickly.

I think we need an SBS photo thread.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Book ordered and received.

tp

Did a search to find this thread.

Looks like a great resource and some good links. Thanks to the OP.

I find myself interested in a shotgun. I’m in FL, and with recent bad storms a shotgun seems like a pretty good deterrent to assholes who might wander uninvited into my neighborhood after a storm.

Hence, the interest.

I have zip for shotgun experience. Maybe shot a 14 ga on the farm as a yute a couple times, is about it.

I’ll be looking at this thread and others to see if my questions are answered (probably are). At this point I don’t know what I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List