Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: J-frame picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    What is that cylinder looking piece?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Can't say for sure, but it looks like a shot glass.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, Irelander - just a great idea! Bet I'm not the only one who's gonna love this.

Playing Revolver Mad Scientist with some of my Js. I picked up a Model 30 (.32 S&W Long) yesterday. It's actually an Improved I frame but still the same family.
    Name:  revolver mad scientist.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  53.2 KB
    Last edited by HeadHunter; 07-31-2017 at 11:38 PM.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Yup, aluminum cylinder shot glass.

In this case, it was a cylinder loaded with Bulleit (bourbon).

@Sherman A. House DDS

I've been meaning to ask you about the engraving on your dark j-frame. "Stolen from...." Do you feel that is a necessary thing for every carry gun? Just wondering if there is some specific legal precedent for doing that. Just curious.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

J-frame picture thread

@Sherman A. House DDS

I've been meaning to ask you about the engraving on your dark j-frame. "Stolen from...." Do you feel that is a necessary thing for every carry gun? Just wondering if there is some specific legal precedent for doing that. Just curious.
    No I don't, necessarily, but it doesn't hurt. I have four guns marked like that, and all because in addition to being EDC guns, they are also the guns I fly with. I have custom fitted Pelican cases that hold the gun in such an orientation that makes it obvious they're engraved.

Will it deter a thief? Maybe.

I stole the idea from @HeadHunter who got the idea from his father. In addition to this 442, I also have a Shield, a FS M&P 9mm, and a Smith 6904.

I also kind of think of it as a big, "FUCK YOU," to anyone who might get the best of me and kill me, and take my gun(s). If they get away with it, I'd like to leave a bread crumb trail bigger than serial numbers leading from them to me. I actually freehanded all of the engraving work with a diamond bur in a (wait for it) rotary dental instrument, but I now have people with a laser engraving cabinet.

My grail gun is a .38 640 Centennial of 1990. When I get one, I'll have it professionally engraved with filigree and the, "Stolen from Dr. Sherman A. House," worked into the filigree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 08-01-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    My grail gun is a .38 640 Centennial of 1990.
    I couldn't help but notice there are some fine examples of the original 640's listed on Gunbroker right now ..... some even NIB.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 08-01-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    No I don't, necessarily, but it doesn't hurt. I have four guns marked like that, and all because in addition to being EDC guns, they are also the guns I fly with. I have custom fitted Pelican cases that hold the gun in such an orientation that makes it obvious they're engraved.

Will it deter a thief? Maybe.

I stole the idea from @HeadHunter who got the idea from his father. In addition to this 442, I also have a Shield, a FS M&P 9mm, and a Smith 6904.

I also kind of think of it as a big, "FUCK YOU," to anyone who might get the best of me and kill me, and take my gun(s). If they get away with it, I'd like to leave a bread crumb trail bigger than serial numbers leading from them to me. I actually freehanded all of the engraving work with a diamond bur in a (wait for it) rotary dental instrument, but I now have people with a laser engraving cabinet.

My grail gun is a .38 640 Centennial of 1990. When I get one, I'll have it professionally engraved with filigree and the, "Stolen from Dr. Sherman A. House," worked into the filigree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This thread has me looking at those same 640's in .38 on funbroker... and your snarky engraved 442 still has me kicking myself over the beat to hell and back Gunsite Raven ported one I let a buddy buy back in the day... for $175. I bug him every time I see him, making sure I get first refusal if/when he sells it. Instead he told me its specifically listed in his will that I can buy it from his estate, for $176.

I love this thread, just saying.

User Tag List