Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: J-frame picture thread

Thanks to this thread and the 43c thread... mine will be here in about 10 days. Already ordered the Wolff rimfire spring kit and have some drywall anchors snapcaps waiting for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    May I ask you what ammo you carry on a daily basis? I've been salivating over M&P 340's for years and someday will own one.
    I'm running 148gr hbwc from Precision Delta, with 135gr Speer Gold Dots for reloads. The wadcutters are hard to load hence the 135's for reloads.
    Last edited by Tooln; 10-14-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooln View Post
    I'm running 148gr hbwc from Precision Delta, with 135gr Speer Gold Dots for reloads. The wadcutters are hard to load hence the 135's for reloads.

Should have asked this question, too. How often do you shoot magnums? Brand?

Should have asked this question, too. How often do you shoot magnums? Brand?
    Umm... I shoot Magnums consistently, every time I feel the need to be able to say that I've done it. I've felt the need once.
    In all honesty I do occasionally toss one or three in my practice ammo bag just to keep me on my toes. Unpleasant is the word.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooln View Post
    Umm... I shoot Magnums consistently, every time I feel the need to be able to say that I've done it. I've felt the need once.
    In all honesty I do occasionally toss one or three in my practice ammo bag just to keep me on my toes. Unpleasant is the word.

I'm guessing you never seriously considered the .357 as your edc ammo? It just seems like such a waste to have the ability to shoot .357 magnum loads - and never do it. Easy for me to say as I've not had the pleasure.

Site Supporter
    I'm guessing you never seriously considered the .357 as your edc ammo? It just seems like such a waste to have the ability to shoot .357 magnum loads - and never do it. Easy for me to say as I've not had the pleasure.
    It feels like someone hit your palm with a baseball bat, full swing.. I’ve done it once - I don’t see myself doing it ever again. If I do get a +p rated revolver, I honestly don’t know if I’ll even load it with anything besides standrard pressure, ever.

I have a Ruger LRC .357, weighs 17 ounces. After trying some magnums and doing some research I've decided .38 +p is what I'm going to carry. Doc and others have determined that .38 loads, even standard pressure, are adequate and the extra velocity from a .357 out of a snubby barrel isn't very much thus not worth the extra recoil and flash that make your follow-up shots slower. Even out of my SP101 (25 oz. I think. Whatever it is it's heavy for a snub these days) magnums are not pleasant but they are manageable.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 10-16-2017 at 11:02 PM.

357 is overkill in that lil Jframe. One of the things I like about the 340 is it's ability to digest whatever I throw at it, but I won't run 357 in it on purpose. I have other choices if I want to do that.

This theory comes up from time to time here and elsewhere. It really boils down to physics. Revolvers have no reciprocating parts that help absorb felt recoil. That means you're left with the weight and mass of the revolver in question, the grips, and your hands, forearms and shoulders to absorb the recoil. Then you have to consider what makes a magnum cartridge do what magnum cartridges do, essentially make bullets go faster than their 'standard' ancestors. This is usually accomplished by using a slower burning powder in a longer case with a longer barrel, thus creating acceleration of the bullet down the entire length of the barrel.

If we take those constants and then radically change one such as the barrel length, we now have a rather large amount of powder burning as it exits the muzzle, rather than while in the barrel, creating a large muzzle flash. Large muzzle flashes are cool for impressing your buddies, for youtube videos, and instagram posts but serve no practical purpose. Since we have this relatively large amount of powder burning as it exits the barrel, it's not providing velocity to the bullet. As a general rule of thumb you now have a projectile that's moving at slightly faster than the same weight bullet from a .38 +P but with a large muzzle flash, a lot more noise, and a rather substantial pressure wave.

If we change those constants further by reducing the size of the pistol, and the weight of the pistol while reducing the barrel length, what we end up with is a projectile traveling well under it's rated velocity, with a large muzzle flash, a lot of noise, a large pressure wave, with substantially reduced mass and weight to absorb recoil. In short it's painful to shoot for most, which reduces practice rounds fired, which means less ability to shoot well under pressure.

I hope this helps. If you'd like the opportunity to shoot .357's from a J frame, let me know and I'll set you up.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    This theory comes up from time to time here and elsewhere. It really boils down to physics. Revolvers have no reciprocating parts that help absorb felt recoil. That means you're left with the weight and mass of the revolver in question, the grips, and your hands, forearms and shoulders to absorb the recoil. Then you have to consider what makes a magnum cartridge do what magnum cartridges do, essentially make bullets go faster than their 'standard' ancestors. This is usually accomplished by using a slower burning powder in a longer case with a longer barrel, thus creating acceleration of the bullet down the entire length of the barrel.

If we take those constants and then radically change one such as the barrel length, we now have a rather large amount of powder burning as it exits the muzzle, rather than while in the barrel, creating a large muzzle flash. Large muzzle flashes are cool for impressing your buddies, for youtube videos, and instagram posts but serve no practical purpose. Since we have this relatively large amount of powder burning as it exits the barrel, it's not providing velocity to the bullet. As a general rule of thumb you now have a projectile that's moving at slightly faster than the same weight bullet from a .38 +P but with a large muzzle flash, a lot more noise, and a rather substantial pressure wave.

If we change those constants further by reducing the size of the pistol, and the weight of the pistol while reducing the barrel length, what we end up with is a projectile traveling well under it's rated velocity, with a large muzzle flash, a lot of noise, a large pressure wave, with substantially reduced mass and weight to absorb recoil. In short it's painful to shoot for most, which reduces practice rounds fired, which means less ability to shoot well under pressure.

I hope this helps. If you'd like the opportunity to shoot .357's from a J frame, let me know and I'll set you up.

Once again, I get exactly what I was looking for here at p-f! I realize that the information in Wheeler's post is probably review for most readers here, but not me. Thanks, Wheeler.

User Tag List