Page 12 of 74 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: J-frame picture thread

Exclamation

Wheeler's post hits all the right explanatory points in the "you should carry .357 magnum in your small lightweight snubby" argument.

As one who quite a few years ago optimistically test-shot 20-100 rounds each of all then-available commercial premium .357 Magnum loads, with bullet weights of 110-158gr, in a pair of my S&W 340PDs (unrealistically hoping to find the ideal balance between "lightest weight" vs. "most powerful" pistol for CCW purposes), I would testify that first of all, shot-to-shot speed is unavoidably quite slow, and that precision is relatively poor compared to the best .38 Special loads (Gold Dot .38 Special 135gr+P JHP giving best results IME).

I believe that most folks who recommend carrying .357 Magnum loads in small "snubby" revolvers are essentially deceiving themselves, and that these little revolvers fill their particular niche best either in the role of backup guns carrying any number of top-quality .38 Special JHP loads, or, if carried as primary CCW guns, carrying either Remington .38 Special 158gr+P LSWCHP+P, Gold Dot 135gr+P 135gr JHP or perhaps full wadcutter 148-158gr loads.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Once again, I get exactly what I was looking for here at p-f! I realize that the information in Wheeler's post is probably review for most readers here, but not me. Thanks, Wheeler.
    You're most certainly welcome. That's a general overview of .357 vs .38. There are a few exceptions with some loads but that covers the majority.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Finally found the pic of my Centennial.

3 snakes in two days, in my yard and close by. You can see the one on the left is still wiggling around, even with its head cut off. Theyll do that for an hour or two. They can still react to touching them or bite you that long also, even the cut off head can.

Name:  Centenial with sneks.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  66.2 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-17-2017 at 10:35 PM.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Shitty pic of my first ever J-frame, a used 442 that I just brought home. Need to order an Apex spring kit and a plug. Even as is the trigger isn't bad. Not as good as my LCR but plenty manageable.

Last edited by Bigghoss; 10-23-2017 at 05:53 PM.

7yds on left, 17yds right. AE 130gr FMJ back on 06.13.17
    Name:  20171023_192434.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  42.4 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    A friend collects Chief's Specials. He tells me this was built in 1954. It is pristine.

Name:  Chief's Special.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  43.3 KB

I may have posted this one before, but i dug it out last night from the Revolver vault while looking for guns for my girlfriend to use during the Revolver Round Up. It is the gun i want to be able to carry as an old guy retired cop living in a place where i don’t need a gun (probably a fantasy). 649-3. Fairly rare as a non MIM non lock last piece of history. A real Bodyguard, not the new one. Bodyguard specific Craig Spegel cocobolo boot grips, XS dot sight, and a one off Watson Ti neck knife. Someday....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Wyoming and DB, thanks for keeping that "someday I'll have a revolver" motor running!

Just gorgeous firearms.

How Have I not partaken of this thread before?

I only have 2 Js right now; the 1976 36-1, and a 642...

Name:  McGee-36.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  642-Omega.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  64.2 KB

User Tag List