Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 - stuck fore-end castle nut

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Remington 870 - stuck fore-end castle nut

So I have a new to me 870 Police Magnum that has lots of external wear but has been shot little. Trying to install the DSF-870 fore-end but the castle nut is locked up. The surefire tool is not helping. Have tried hitting it with a heat gun and putting the Surefire tool in a 6" C clamp for leverage - no dice. Any tips? At this point I might just buy a new fore-end + action bars...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    So I have a new to me 870 Police Magnum that has lots of external wear but has been shot little. Trying to install the DSF-870 fore-end but the castle nut is locked up. The surefire tool is not helping. Have tried hitting it with a heat gun and putting the Surefire tool in a 6" C clamp for leverage - no dice. Any tips? At this point I might just buy a new fore-end + action bars...
    Have you got a long adjustable or locking wrench? I can't imagine a long handle not being able to exert enough torque. (Especially if you can have someone hold it and you tap it with a hammer if necessary.) I know it doesn't help you but the supplied tool worked fine on mine. Keep us posted.

As I recall, the Surefire employee uses a long wrench in this video:

Last edited by blues; 07-25-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    If I still have it, I have a steel tool for that. Let me check when I get home. If I do you can borrow it. It should do the trick.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Have you got a long adjustable or locking wrench? I can't imagine a long handle not being able to exert enough torque. (Especially if you can have someone hold it and you tap it with a hammer if necessary.) I know it doesn't help you but the supplied tool worked fine on mine. Keep us posted.

As I recall, the Surefire employee uses a long wrench in this video:

I have that exact tool and used a long wrench. Did not budge.

I had this made by a machinist/gunsmith years ago. I have yet to find a forearm it hasn't worked on. It's yours to borrow if you need it.
    Name:  IMG_1017.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  60.2 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Brownells should still have a tool similar to what Lon posted. I have one at the office that works well.

The wood forends are prone to swelling and they can be a bitch to get off. The factory tool I used on agency guns looked like this .... it's sold by Brownells.

Someone on Ebay is selling one similar to the tool Lon posted for less than $10, also.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shotgun-Fore...wAAMXQ855RqXTT
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

The nice thing about the one I had made is that you don't have to take the gun apart further than taking the barrel off. It fits down over the mag tube and inside the forearm.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    If I still have it, I have a steel tool for that. Let me check when I get home. If I do you can borrow it. It should do the trick.
    I'd love to borrow it. PM inbound.

Site Supporter
    Have you applied a liberal amount of Kroil??

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...-prod7610.aspx

User Tag List