Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inquiry Submitted to ATF re LEOSA Scope

Inquiry Submitted to ATF re LEOSA Scope

The recent "White Paper" from Ronald Turk of the ATF, addressing matters that the ATF might wish to revisit, together with published reports that the ATF has solicited industry participant views concerning changes in the regulatory environment, have prompted an inquiry of the ATF concerning its views on LEOSA. I shall attempt to attach the inquiry, recently sent to the ATF, concerning whether LEOSA preempts state and local magazine limits.

The inquiry provides a number of reasons why LEOSA should be construed as to preempt state and local magazine limits for qualifying persons. The document identifies six reasons why the ATF should reject the view that magazine limits are not preempted, including, among others:

(i) One would need to ignore the legislative history, which indicates LEOSA was intended to allow qualified persons to possess “any gun,” other than those (such as fully automatic firearms) whose features by express provision are not subject to preemption.

(ii) One would need to reject a position expressly taken by the United States in litigation, that LEOSA preempts restrictions on firearms that have particular features (there, a semi-automatic sporting rifle).

This is being posted so that anyone who wishes to communicate with the ATF on the subject while the ATF has the inquiry before it has the opportunity to do so. Insofar as observations may be relevant to the ATF's consideration, I should think that observations as to the materiality of the impact would be of note.

I am hopeful that I have configured the post so that the attachment does not get embedded in the post (but is left as a clickable link)--the letter's rather long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just bitch and moan to the local compliance agent......
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I'm sure plenty of questions will be asked.

Just want mag capacity to be removed, maybe allow LEOs to carry sbrs with cans around without paperwork....
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Why the ATF? What does the ATF have to do with interpreting LEOSA? The ATF provides an executive regulatory function, but that doesn't make them a defacto ghetto-SCOTUS that interprets any law with a mention of guns.

I'd be surprised if they say anything other than, "Qualified LEOs should check with their local LE, not our circus, not our monkeys...." At least, that's what I hope they respond with.

IMO, we don't need to be encouraging executive regulatory agencies to ordain us with more interpretations of laws.....
    Last edited by TGS; 07-25-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Why the ATF? What does the ATF have to do with interpreting LEOSA? The ATF provides an executive regulatory function, but that doesn't make them a defacto ghetto-SCOTUS that interprets any law with a mention of guns.

I'd be surprised if they say anything other than, "Qualified LEOs should check with their local LE, not our circus, not our monkeys...." At least, that's what I hope they respond with.

IMO, we don't need to be encouraging executive regulatory agencies to ordain us with more interpretations of laws.....
    Right or wrong that was exactly my first thought.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Right or wrong that was exactly my first thought.
    Same.

I am trying to think of a time when someone writing a letter to the ATF asking for an opinion worked out in our favor.

Site Supporter

This ^^^^

BATFE does not have jurisdiction over LEOSA and anyone who thinks giving them jurisdiction is a good idea is a fool.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-26-2017 at 12:09 AM.

As others have noted, this is a statutory interpretation + (maybe, if the statute supports it) Supremacy Clause issue and not a Congress-delegates-rulemaking-authority-to-ATF issue. Most likely, however, it's also probably a Congress-needs-to-clarify-the-law issue.

When I get the benefit of LEOSA (hopefully next month), I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with my new magic powers regardless of how this matter turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I am trying to think of a time when someone writing a letter to the ATF asking for an opinion worked out in our favor.
    ^^^These two statements should be burned into the brain of every gun owner.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List