Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Luminous paint & optical fibers

Luminous paint & optical fibers

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...etter-results/

Just saw this. HiViz has added luminous paint to some of their replacement fibers.

Would need to be "charged" coming out of a holster, and I'd think it'd block some of the daylight brightness of the fiber. But it wouldn't cost much to try.

Luminous paint that has to be charged in order to be useful is pretty useless, IMO.

I have a watch that has it instead of tritium. Completely useless, considering the paint is likely not charged when I go to check my watch and I end up having to use a light source to view it anyway (or look at my phone). The usefulness doesn't get any better with a gun that you're pulling out to defend yourself....
    Last edited by TGS; 07-26-2017 at 08:21 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Stock HK sights are the same thing, and I can verify that they are completely and utterly useless.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Stock HK sights are the same thing, and I can verify that they are completely and utterly useless.
    Now now.

I found the HK luminescent sight paint to be an excellent primer coat for putting black painters pen on the rear and bright orange on the front.

Somebody once proposed a holster with an illuminator to "charge" luminescent sights. I don't know if he actually made one, though.
    A UV LED would handle the job now. According to the advertisement, it would only have to shine 15 seconds per 30 minutes. So, have you got a fresh battery in your holster?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Somebody once proposed a holster with an illuminator to "charge" luminescent sights. I don't know if he actually made one, though.
    A UV LED would handle the job now. According to the advertisement, it would only have to shine 15 seconds per 30 minutes. So, have you got a fresh battery in your holster?
    Wow. Talk about a problem in search of a solution.

I subscribe to what I learned in my class with Tom Givens: If somedude is going to rob me in the WalMart Parking lot, he's going to do it under the lights.

I've come to understand though, that "night-sights" hold some kind of vice-like grip on the mindset of the new defensive shooter.

Well, that was decades ago, not long after the first illuminated sights with grain of wheat bulbs buried in the ramp and a battery in the grip.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Tried luminescent paint on a set of shitty sights. Even when hit with very bright light they only glow for a few seconds. There isn't enough surface area for as much as you'd need to make it really glow. If it was Superluminova like on some watches it would be better, but still is going to need light.

The orange or yellow dots around the front tritium vials on the Trijicon HD sights are capable of being "charged" and do glow almost as brightly as the tritium vials for some time after they are hit with a light. Bright white/blue light ( as from a LED flashlight) seems to charge them best. The utility of such things is debatable. I suppose if you knew you were going into a dark space, and have the time/cover/forethought, you could charge them up. Someone, somewhere, asked for it to be included when they decided to design them, I'd guess.
    Last edited by WDR; 07-26-2017 at 05:08 PM.

They're supposedly included on HKs because there's legal issues with Tritium in Germany, and you can't just not please the tactical dope customers with non glowing sights of some sort. The only time I ever bothered wasting time charging them was at night matches, and rather regretted not just shooting with blacked out sights.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List