Thread: Old Time Radio Shows

Old Time Radio Shows

I love old time radio shows. My favorite is the timeless classic Gunsmoke. Good story telling, wonderful cast, quality production and it doesn't hurt that its a western. Another show I like is Dragnet. I like how it's kept low keyed with quick, clipped dialogue and that the stories are taken from real cases. One of my favorites was the episode based on "Red Light Bandit", a case a cousin of mine, Danny Galindo, worked when he was on the LAPD. He's also mentioned by name in at least two other episodes. A show we used to listen to as kids, late at night with the volume turned low so our parents wouldn't know we were still awake, was the CBS Mystery Theater. Like Gunsmoke it was a quality show.

Audible.com not only has great books to listen to, they also carry many of the old radio shows. I listen to Audible on the phone while mowing the lawn or driving, on the job or working around the house. I also listen to many books I've purchased through Audible.

A few years ago, I stumbled on an obscure website that carried a few old radio shows. It was a bit awkward to use and had just a few shows, like Tales of the Texas Rangers (which I highly recommend), a few episodes of Gunsmoke and so on, but it was free. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work on the phone and I'd forgotten about it.

The subject of old time radio shows came up today and I thought about that old website. I couldn't remember its URL so I did a search- and hit the motherlode! I don't know if it's the same website I used to listen to but there are similarities that lead me to believe it is. If it is the same site, they have really grown and improved. Either way, I'm giddy with delight! Old Time Radio has a huge collection of radio shows and it's easy to select and listen with just a couple of clicks. If you're a fan, you've got to try this site! I'm off to check out CBS Mystery Theater hosted by E.G. Marshall

https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

I've got to ask, who else loves the old radio shows and what are your favorites?
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-25-2017 at 02:36 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

The few Dragnet episodes I've heard on XM were great.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

When I was a child, my dad had a "collection" of about 20 cassettes he had bought somewhere that were just old time radio shows. This was in the late 70's. I remember liking Baby Shnooks quite a bit, as well as some old Burns and Allen.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I will have to check that out later. Years ago, we had an old AM station, towards the end of the dial that broadcast older stuff. One day after listening to some of the old Jack Benny shows, I went to work at the garage and was singing Vera Lynn all day. One older neighbor/customer came in and just about broke down in tears at the song. His memories of it were of the war, mine were of hearing it around my grandparents.

I had a set of old time radio shows on cassette tape years ago, not sure what became of them. Id forgotten about it, I should check the library to see what they have.

In the 80s, when I was spending a lot of time out in the hills in Az, I had some AM station that I could pull in late at night that played old time radio shows, I really enjoyed them listening in camp in bed.

Will look at the link. Sounds like it should be fun. I watch old black and white TV shows on youtube now and then. Tons of old TV shows of all types on there.

Loved The Shadow.

Liked Amos and Andy too, however politically-incorrect it might be considered nowadays.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

My wife and I listen to old time radio every night...Dragnet, the Whistler, Richard Diamond, Night Beat, Pat Novak for hire, CBS Radio Mystery Theatre, I could go on and on.

If you haven't discovered the internet archive site, it will become your best friend....

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

FYI - You can download most of them as Podcasts now.

I keep a few dozen episodes of The Shadow and Suspense on my phone for general listening.

If you aren't listening to "Welcome to Nightvale" I recommend it. It's a weird modern take on the radio show with some of the absurdity of Twilight Zone and the absurdity of modern times. I convinced my dad to listen to it (he's the one that got me hooked on old radio shows) and he thought it was odd, but entertaining. I fully agree.

User Tag List