Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Laying the Blame in Minneapolis

We bid for shifts annually. This generally means several graveyard and late swings squads are filled by guys barely off FTO or probation. If you have 18 months on you're on of the senior guys. When you add brand new Sergeants to that mix that results are adequate. If you add a high risk low frequency event to it you definitely see some eye opening stuff. K9 is a fire brigade sometimes with senior guys offering advice or running a scene for a junior Sergeant. When the Sergeant is too proud to take advice it gets sketchy.

I don't know how Minneapolis assigns people to districts and shifts. When you have two new guys in a car either there are no senior people to put in the car or the senior guys refused to ride with him.

The FTO program allows Officers off probation to test. That means you get FTOs with 18 months on teaching brand new guys. I was an official FTO at five years and an unofficial one at three. IMHO you need at least three years to be an FTO and I'd prefer five.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 07-27-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I think the me-me-me generation being a problem in law enforcement is more of an imaginary problem by older generations that are to busy looking down their noses to remember that their shit still stinks.
    You're incorrect in your assertion. Is the issue often overblown to the point where it seems like the only issue? Absolutely. However, discounting it is equally as inaccurate because it is a legitimate issue. It's not their fault, because they're really just victims of a failed parenting strategy, but the issue is real. When I was an instructor at our academy it was during the sea change between the old guard and Gen X, millenials, etc. What I observed was an increasing lack of critical thinking and communication skills. The culture and lifestyle are slowly erasing those things from our mental make up. Our job is 95% communication and if you don't possess those basic human building blocks you have a real problem. The older generation always thinks the younger one is inferior to them, that's human history, but dismissing the problem is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

From what little I know of the situation, it seems to be another example of two people doing stupid things with a gun involved. Because of his lack of training, experience, maturity, etc., the officer over reacted. The woman made the fatally stupid decision of thinking it was a good idea to call in a possible assault, then go out into the dark and bang on the cruiser when it approached. The lack of critical thinking skills on both their parts led to one of them being killed. There's really no controversy to be found here, it's just an example of felony stupid at all levels. The fact that the police department is probably being used as yet another social experiment didn't help either.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    We bid for shifts annually. This generally means several graveyard and late swings squads are filled by guys barely off FTO or probation. If you have 18 months on you're on of the senior guys. When you add brand new Sergeants to that mix that results are adequate. If you add a high risk low frequency event to it you definitely see some eye opening stuff. K9 is a fire brigade sometimes with senior guys offering advice or running a scene for a junior Sergeant. When the Sergeant is too proud to take advice it gets sketchy.

I don't know how Minneapolis assigns people to districts and shifts. When you have two new guys in a car either there are no senior people to put in the car or the senior guys refused to ride with him.

The FTO program allows Officers off probation to test. That means you get FTOs with 18 months on teaching brand new guys. I was an official FTO at five years and an unofficial one at three. IMHO you need at least three years to be an FTO and I'd prefer five.
    My agency is 100% the same as what you describe. Once you have 18 months on you can get dayshift for the rest of your career if you want it. Our policy is also 2 years experience to become an FTO and we have a lot of those running around. It's scary stuff really with the blind teaching the blind.
    Last edited by PearTree; 07-27-2017 at 04:59 PM.

I guess I'm lucky. You're required to have a minimum amount of time on the job to transfer to my division, so no real newbs allowed. I also work the midnight shift which is all volunteer. Everyone's there because they want to be and I'm currently the senior man with twenty five years and the most junior man has twelve. The dynamic is far different than the rest of the agency, where most troops currently have five years or less on the job, being run by a Lieutenant who might have slightly more, maybe.

On the July 4th weekend Another division tried to pawn a case off on us because they didn't want to call anyone out and pay overtime. The case wasn't in our divisions purview and we didn't need to divert resources on a busy holiday weekend to deal with it. I had no problem telling that to the five year lieutenant who was "in charge".
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    It's sad that so much emphasis is put on college degrees. Out of 133 credits, I can say only 12 made me smarter. Those 12 were Spanish language courses.

The rest actually retarded my ability to learn. See I have some amazing abilities! I can read, write, listen and think clearly. Those superhuman traits mean I am able to learn on my own.

So instead of actually learning about the intricacies of the world and gaining wisdom, I had to go through CJ classes that taught me zero about CJ.

Now there are good degrees and good professors. Most people just don't need a degree and few get a useful degree.

My hope is that my degree enables me to get a job that requires a degree, even though the degree in no way prepares you for the job.

Site Supporter
    3rd degree murder and manslaughter charges filed:

Charging document: https://www.hennepinattorney.org/-/m...cplt.pdf?la=en

Prosecuting Attorney's statement:
    https://www.hennepinattorney.org/-/m...noor.pdf?la=en

“In the short time between when Ms. Damond Ruszczyk approached the squad car and the time that he fired the fatal shot, there is no evidence that Officer Noor encountered a threat, appreciated a threat, investigated a threat, or confirmed a threat that justified the decision to use deadly force,”

Good luck with the murder charge. He’s hanging his hat on the “depraved” conduct. Noor’s defense attorney will trot out every instance of cops being ambushed in their cars (an unfortunately long list) recently to show Noor’s conduct wasn’t depraved, it was fear. Reckless or negligent maybe, but not depraved.

After reviewing MN law, I won’t be surprised to see a jury come back with a Manslaughter conviction.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Good luck with the murder charge. He’s hanging his hat on the “depraved” conduct. Noor’s defense attorney will trot out every instance of cops being ambushed in their cars (an unfortunately long list) recently to show Noor’s conduct wasn’t depraved, it was fear. Reckless or negligent maybe, but not depraved.

After reviewing MN law, I won’t be surprised to see a jury come back with a Manslaughter conviction.
    Possible that the PA is "overcharging" in the secret hope of an acquittal?

https://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpre...es/#more-14970

From the Stately McDaniel Manor blog. The is update 19 on his blog. The link for the others is in this article.

“This article will focus on the charging statement/statement of probable cause. The follow up article, to be posted on Wednesday evening, 03-21-18 will focus on the laws under which Noor has been charged, and other related issues that will develop by then.”

It’s a very interesting read. Noor fired blindly out of the car without identifying a threat.

As far as them being worried about being ambushed their tactics in responding to the call were horrible as they were as they got ready to clear the call when the shooting happened.

https://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpre...se/#more-14975

Update 20 it’s an interesting read.

User Tag List