Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laying the Blame in Minneapolis

"Basically your ability to shoot fast outstrips your ability to evaluate fast."
    Hmmm--Kind of like what Daryl/Nyeti has been preaching to cops and citizens for years.......
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Some of the best instructors I have met did not have advanced degrees; conversely, some of the worst professors I've observed do have advanced degrees...
    Yep. Once saw a dude with two PhDs teach a class at the university here. Never seen a worse instructor, ever - I actually got him kicked out of the department.

For some people, "advanced degrees" are what you get when you're not good at anything other than going to school.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Hmmm--Kind of like what Daryl/Nyeti has been preaching to cops and citizens for years.......
    QFT
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Officers that receive the dreaded "tactical" training in a high stress training environments aren't the kind of fucking idiots that get scared and just start shooting people.

I don't think it's a diversity problem, I think it's a sign of things to come. If society wants kinder gentler cops, they better be ready for bodies in uniforms that can't handle those few and far between situations where cops really need to be cops. The decision has already been made that it's acceptable for innocent people to the price of no feelings getting hurt. People that are qualified to be cops aren't applying or getting hired. The people getting hired are treated like glorified secretaries with guns and then thrust into a whole different world.
    Last edited by txdpd; 07-25-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post

Very little time is spent actually putting them through decision making scenarios.
    Making them perfect for admin roles. lol

My academy, if I were ever in the position to design and run one, would be our standard 20 weeks of PT, legal, and all the other jazz we put them through with an additional 20-30 weeks of riding with senior officers who are well compensated for the task of molding them into officers. By senior officers I mean years and years of street work.....not 18 month rookies who are looking for a paperwork secretary and someone to wake them when they nap on duty.

The academy would be to weed out the usual illiterates (college folks included in that list sometimes), the lazy, the lame, and the skittish that sneaked through the hiring process. Of course, I'd have to revamp the hiring process as well and do away with HR running the show to ensure that I got quality recruits and not stylish ones that fit in well with the current climate. The hiring process would be full of those same senior officers who will be later tasked with making these kids officers.

Of course to get the brightest and the boldest, I'd have to just about double or triple our starting salary to get a good initial turnout of applicants. I'd want thousands put in......not the 200-400 or so now that we get applying. I'd seek out warriors, thinkers, problem solvers, people persons........and a little fist fight or reckless driving ticket in their past would be a plus.....and not the dark stain it is now.

Once I got a good pool to choose from and their background checked out okay, I'd run them through that first 20 weeks to get them ready to learn from veterans.....and that FTO pool would be from solid working cops and not the tail kissers and lazy types. That part of their learning game would take 20 more weeks minimum and probably closer to 30-40 weeks as I would want them ran on all shifts and all sides of town learning this game and dealing with people constantly. Each recruit riding a week with each FTO would be a goal so that hopefully, they absorb something from them all.

But this would cost about sixteen times more than what we currently spend on making cops.

You can't do this on the cheap. You can't do it fast.

You have to do it good. You can't have two out of three options (fast, cheap, good) on this project and expect great results. You gotta do it right the first time.

So yeah, like a year minimum to get someone ready to do this.

Never going to happen though. Cheaper to pay out the lawsuit settlements.

Regards.

Disregard.
    Last edited by Lon; 07-25-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Yep. Once saw a dude with two PhDs teach a class at the university here. Never seen a worse instructor, ever - I actually got him kicked out of the department.

For some people, "advanced degrees" are what you get when you're not good at anything other than going to school.
    In fairness, most PhD programs -- particularly the well known ones -- don't teach, reward, or really have anything to do with teaching.
    The PhD certainly doesn't prepare you to be a professor, which is mostly a management and sales job at a research university.

Over-credentialization is a big problem in many fields, not just police work, in my opinion.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Except his advice is worthless,because no PhD.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    We need to get more guys those really useful 4+ year degrees so they can make their 28K a year.
    Some of the best instructors I have met did not have advanced degrees; conversely, some of the worst professors I've observed do have advanced degrees...
    I think that people often confuse education for training - present company excluded. For example, a well educated dentist comes out of dental school with a lot of knowledge about facial anatomy and pathology but woefully little ability to put Humpty Dumpty back together again after being shot in the face by a ND from one of the King's men .

That ability comes after about 5 years of oral surgery residency training where the aspiring surgeon gets the living shit beat out of him with 100+ hour work weeks under the supervision of some of the meanest mother fu<kers in a hospital. It is during that period of apprenticeship that the education is refined and coupled with experience. Without this coupling and intermittent continuing education, the ability gained through education eventually degrades. Making matters worse, there is very little correlation between being well educated or even well trained and being an effective educator and trainer.

Medical/dental education and training is an extreme example but the analogy holds to a lesser extent to LE, military, law practices, etc.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-25-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If society wants kinder gentler cops, they better be ready for bodies in uniforms that can't handle those few and far between situations where cops really need to be cops.
    You can have police who are polite and professional, nice when they can be and decisive when they have to be. It just takes a lot more effort and dollars devoted to recruitment and training than many communities are willing to spend.

User Tag List