Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Laying the Blame in Minneapolis

I am having trouble making heads or tails out of this thing.

Liberal mayor forces resignation of diverse chief, appoints another diverse chief in the wake of a diverse officer, product of an accelerated diverse training program, that whacked a pretty, blond Australian woman.

Can someone in LE tell me what the heck is going on here?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Liberal mayor forces resignation of diverse chief, appoints another diverse chief in the wake of a diverse officer, product of an accelerated diverse training program, that whacked a pretty, blond Australian woman.

It's clear to me that the message is "diverse" officers should only police "diverse" communities.

(As I was once told on Key Biscayne by a wealthy Argentinian stock broker who I had stopped and questioned that if I "couldn't afford to live in the neighborhood one had no business enforcing the law there".)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    couldn't afford to live in the neighborhood one had no business enforcing the law there
    There is merit to this idea. Just think, all the richie rich fancy executive areas will have zero police presence 24/7. It may rapidly change opinions
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    There is merit to this idea. Just think, all the richie rich fancy executive areas will have zero police presence 24/7. It may rapidly change opinions
    The beauty of this plan is its simplicity. It's like the big police unions belatedly realizing that the Democratic Party is not a friend of the police
    #RESIST

I can't speak for the liberalism aspect......

But some LE agencies run everything on the cheap. I do, unfortunately, know some of that aspect of it intimately.

Money for training? Forget it. We will do the state minimum and that's it. Want training associated with shooting or running a rifle? It's not happening unless you pay for it out of pocket and on your own time.

I have no knowledge of this particular shooting nor how they run things at that agency. I can only speak from experiences that I have had at two different agencies.

But in this instance, I suspect that it is far easier to cut loose a scapegoat administrator with a nice severance package and hire another liberal feel gooder/dooer instead of fixing the root problem. Fixing the root problem (hiring quality, expensive salary/benefits, high dollar high speed training) is going to cost big money.

Firing one chief and hiring another one? Much better for the bottom line.

Just a guess and 2 pennies.

Regards.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

That people on both sides of the political spectrum are making hay of "diverse" when it's very unlikely it had anything to do with this shooting.

So the latest I saw is she supposed smacked the police car. From the position of someone in the car, he hears a bang of the impact on his car and then sees someone with something in their hand appear at the window.

I once came veeerry close to shooting a robbery suspect who pulled a cell phone out of his waistband like a gun. I've been grateful every day I realized it before I broke the shot, but I do understand how the wrong decision could be made. Basically your ability to shoot fast outstrips your ability to evaluate fast. Combine with the fact most of what you "see" is being filled in by your brain as you can't process everything coming in your eyes in real time (we lack the brain capacity, processing vision is very intensive work, which is why we are keyed to motion, edges, etc as work-arounds) and you sometimes see what you expect to see, not what's actually there.

Add in recent media accounts of officers murdered sitting in a vehicle, probably anti-ambush training as a result, and the picture starts to become more understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I've worked all sides of town and my current (and frankly, my favorite zone of all time) area I could probably afford six or seven of the nicest houses in it. I wouldn't trade it for the nicest area in town.

The residents (a quite diverse group) treat me far better than the spendy side of town ever did. Even when enforcing laws, I'm treated much better with far more respect than the "good side of the tracks".

Is it eaten alive with crime, drugs, and hookers? Oh yeah, it's got issues.

But the majority of the people are real good people with good values. They just don't have money and struggle.

Black, white, Hispanic, Asian, etc........a healthy mix of everything. Most all of them treat me well and the respect is mutual. If I have to be hard, I keep it fair and they respect that.

Best kept secret in town. You couldn't melt down the ritzy area here and pour it on me. I'm dug into this zone like a tick on a hound.

Regards.

Some of the best cops I know have a HS diploma or GED. Some of the worst ("you will respect my AUTHORITY!!!) have college degrees. A lot of kids coming out of college and going to the academy have ZERO life experience in simply talking to people of varied backgrounds.

Police training (I'm an instructor in the police academy) needs completely revamped. The cadets spend so much time learning about stupid crap that they will never or rarely need. For example, new recruits spend 8 hours on the NIMS (National Incident Management System). They spend SIX hours learning about the constitutional use of force and liability issues. The academy is over 600 hours total now. So less than 1% is spent in the class learning about the constitutional use of force. I teach that class. I have to rush through it to cover all the information in the lesson plan. They spend 3 hours on learning how to deal with the media. 2 hours on companion animals. 12 hours on Domestic Violence. 16 hours on "Community Diversity and Procedural Justice". The list goes on.

Very little time is spent actually putting them through decision making scenarios.

You want better police training? Tell all the special interest groups and the federal government to fuck off and let police trainers who know what the fuck they're talking about set the curriculum.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    This is perhaps an incident of somebody temperamentally unsuited to being the police who got a job they perhaps should not have had.
    Ka-ching!

Plus an administration that was so super really, really very happy to add Somalis to the PD that they willing and likely knowingly overlooked the issue of character and personality. Not everyone is suited to be the police.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Synopsis:

No one in the general public knows all the details of what happened.

The dust has barely settled and city leader(s) and "experts" are attempting to crucify anything that twitches.

SNAFU.

User Tag List