Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laying the Blame in Minneapolis

Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

My favorite part:

“The cadet program is rigorous, no doubt, but it is also an immersive paramilitary experience, taught by practitioner faculty without advanced degrees, and I suspect it leaves students with a limited view of the profession,” Densley said.

Critics of police training across the United States have called it long on command and control and short on instructing common sense approaches to slowing down confrontations and defusing hostile situations.
    In other words, some of the instructors are LE personnel with real experience who know when situations can be defused and how to do so while also knowing what to do when they cannot be.

I have adopted a "wait and see" attitude on this shooting as the lack of information about what actually happened before and during the shooting is very, very large. The one thing that struck me so far is that the partners in this incident had very little LE experience between them.

Site Supporter
    So to sum it up...

"James Densely, who teaches criminal justice for a college, feels that trainers need advanced college degrees"

Here's my shocked face.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    So to sum it up...

"James Densely, who teaches criminal justice for a college, feels that trainers need advanced college degrees"

Here's my shocked face.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Name:  Einstein_laughing.jpeg
Views: 804
Size:  32.4 KB

"Even I didn't think an advanced degree denoted knowledge or expertise in a given arena."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

We need to get more guys those really useful 4+ year degrees so they can make their 28K a year.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    I don't know where you live, but where I live they start out at almost twice that . . . .

Some of the best instructors I have met did not have advanced degrees; conversely, some of the worst professors I've observed do have advanced degrees...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter

training?

Minnesota's program is very similar to Wisconsin's. (Wisconsin's system is based on the Minnesota model). People go to college, most often get an associate or batchelor's degree in a related field (police science or criminal justice) and then self-sponsor themselves to the police academy. It was 8 weeks when I started in 1981 and is 17 weeks now. Then you go through field training (structured on-the-job training with a field training officer) for 12 weeks and then you should be ready for solo patrol. (I NEVER had the benefit of a structured field training program in any place I ever worked).

So this guy's training is probably NOT the issue.

When it comes to instructors, A practitioner at the operational level will ALWAYS under ALL circumstances will have more credible or useful information than some clown with an "advanced degree" who has limited or no practical experience.

This is perhaps an incident of somebody temperamentally unsuited to being the police who got a job they perhaps should not have had.

If somebody has the basic skill set and has a clue and intellectual curiosity and motivation, then training will improve their performance. If they are under motivated or clueless or lack some of the basic attributes necessary to perform the task, then training probably won't help them. But training is where it starts. And leadership willing to drop the hammer on somebody who clearly can't do this.

Selection is the first thing you look at. You also look at initial training, field training, officer performance, supervision, and the decision to retain the probationary employee before making a permanent appointment.

Pretty soon the whole "fuck up / move up" system will be called into question and the stability of the nation as we know it will be at risk.

/sarcasm
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    I don't know where you live, but where I live they start out at almost twice that . . . .
    I make more than the entry level cops I know about, and I'm only bringing in 40K teacher level salaries. Contrary to what the twat Densely thinks, beat cop is not a career that requires burning 4 years in a university.
    Last edited by Peally; 07-25-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List