Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Polaris Slingshot, toy or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Of course, my 'win the lottery' car would be more old school:
    Mine wouldn't be *quite* as old-school, but I feel like lots of the folks in this thread would approve. If I had infinite money to burn, I'd have a Porsche 959, all the way, no questions asked. That car was just too awesome for words.

Polaris Slingshot, toy or not?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Mine wouldn't be *quite* as old-school, but I feel like lots of the folks in this thread would approve. If I had infinite money to burn, I'd have a Porsche 959, all the way, no questions asked. That car was just too awesome for words.
    I dunno if you are ever planning to be in Naples FL, but you might enjoy this:

https://revsinstitute.org/plan-a-visit/

I went with a group from the BMW CCA for a private tour, and it was a blast. If I was a Porsche-file, it'd be on my bucket list.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-30-2017 at 01:32 PM.

...and speaking of clown cars, I still miss mine.

I miss my 2003 E46 ZHP, too.

I went with a group from the BMW CCA for a private tour, and it was a blast. If I was a Porsche-file, it'd be on my bucket list.
    Ooh, I didn't know that even existed, and it looks really cool. Sadly, it's basically on the opposite end of the state from where my in-laws live, so it'd be tough to arrange a visit as a part of whenever we next visit them, but if I'm ever going to be down there, that looks like a very fun way to spend some time. I'll have to keep it in mind.

...and speaking of clown cars, I still miss mine.

A proper Brit Mini is like a Tardis- they're somehow bigger on the inside. I'm 6'2", and could fit inside comfortably. With friends.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Polaris Slingshot, toy or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A proper Brit Mini is like a Tardis- they're somehow bigger on the inside. I'm 6'2", and could fit inside comfortably. With friends.
    Yeah, you aren't kidding. I'm 5'6", and it was a lot of fun.

I bought it in 1993 in Birmingham, UK. Turns out the owner/restorer (it was a proper 1967 Austin Cooper S 1275) worked for Rovers and the team re-introducing the modern Mini-Cooper at that time.

He knew John Cooper, so he introduced me. I had it converted to unleaded gas at Mr. Cooper's garage in Ferring, West Sussex.

Mr. Cooper was one of the nicest gentlemen I've ever met. I had a couple conversations in his office. Kinda impressive, being a dual Formula One World Champion. I mean, he knew Mr. Honda for Pete's sake. Really nice guy.

Tony the shop foreman sorted me out with a "works" Long Centre Branch exhaust. The engine had been balanced and ported by Avonbar Racing. I guess mine made a bit over 76HP. At 10' long, it was a hoot to drive.

I sold it to a collector from Paris. Mine was the Real Deal, and I had several books of documentation on it.

As a rally car, it had dual fuel tanks and the teeniest disk brakes. Best story I had was I was filling it up one day in Orlando, lady asked me if it ran on batteries lol. It was quite the chick magnet.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-30-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Every car geek on the planet should visit Stuttgart, for five reasons.

1) The birthplace of the automobile and motorcycle
    2) Porsche Factory
    3) Porsche Museum
    4) Mercedes-Benz Factory
    5) Mercedes-Benz Museum

The birthplace of the car and motorcycle, a greenhouse converted to a workshop/the first car garage.
    Name:  534236_10102060341206580_1483298305_n.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  88.8 KB

Taken by a friend of mine, touring the Porsche Museum with me, here I am photograping Porsche No. 1. The original, real, and genuine, No. 1 Porsche.
    Name:  536290_2929506762263_1310651074_n.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  45.0 KB

Porsche Model 64, high-speed touring car.
    Name:  554605_10102065219749940_349304656_n.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  40.5 KB

This is a prototype land-speed record car, designed by Ferdinand Porsche for Mercedes-Benz before the war. It never ran, but was estimated that it might hit 387 mph. I just feel like this is the car that little boy's dreams are made of. This one is at the Mercedes Museum.
    Name:  522215_10102060336995020_1397132326_n.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  30.8 KB

Blue Wonder...at the Mercedes Museum.
    Name:  552965_10102060332179670_786467395_n.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  62.6 KB

No factory pictures, none are allowed. FYI - one MUST schedule a Porsche factory tour in advance via email, it's not easy to find how to do it, but it's worth it. And it's free.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-30-2017 at 08:50 PM.

User Tag List