Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I Recently Broke (Well, Further Modified) My Woods Rule Pistol Criteria

Why I Recently Broke (Well, Further Modified) My Woods Rule Pistol Criteria

Recently, in this thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....stol-woods-gun we had a nice discussion of appropriate woods gun selection criteria. My two main ones were that the gun's caliber be applicable to the circumstances, and that the gun be easily not just field- but also detail- (or semi-detail-) disassembled/reassembled in case of inadvertent exposure to media to the guns action components. Of course an over-arching criteria is that the gun chosen is durable and reliable, and reasonably accurate.

On Saturday, my wife and I had a great hike, and while thinking things through (always potentially dangerous...), I came up with a third, and in this case, somewhat dis-positive criteria: That the gun selected had to be capable of be operated instinctively and effectively by all parties potentially having to use it.

In this case, I ended up choosing my HK VP40, which has certainly proven to be accurate and reliable-but certainly NOT easily detail-dis-assembled (or, frankly, easily taken down much further than field-stripping period, especially regarding the receiver and its multitude of components)-both in the field or in a more administrative setting.

My rationale, FWIW is this: Given that the likely threat was pretty much restricted to black bear, mountain lion/cougar, and humans, I was satisfied with going with a .40, using DocGKR vetted 180 gr Federal HST/Speer 180 gr Gold Dots/Remington 180 gr Golden Saber cartridges.

The ergonomics of the HK VP are excellent, and since I'm running both my VP and P30 with a small backstrap, small right panel, and medium left panel, the HK would likely be a better choice for my small-handed wife, and I preferred its ergos to those of my Glock Gen4 G22, and figured the striker action of the VP would be easier for her to deal with than the LEM action of my P30L

Another thing that resonated with me was Dagga Boy's recent comment here over a trend that he's recently witnessed, women choosing the HK VP due to both its ergos and the charging supports making manual slide reciprocation both easier and do-able.

Another factor in this case was that our hike was a day hike, in clear weather, and over terrain where it was unlikely that we'd be exposed to dumping the gun in water or mud/dust/dirt.

So in this case, ergos trumped the other criteria (and we had a great hike, and only saw 2 other humans along the trails, and zero threatening wildlife).

Had it been a longer hike/camp, or under more arduous/protracted conditions, I might have chosen otherwise (e.g., with my wife, probably the Glock Gen4 G22).

The VP40 cwas carried very comfortably and unobtrusively in an Olen taco-style/single FOMI-clipped kydex holster, with the two reload magazines carried in a Tactical Tailor Fight-Lite Magna dual magazine pouch.

And no, I wasn't particularly concerned over the "Mallet Test" kerfluffule currently discussed on the forum regarding HK VPs (although only VP9s have been discussed to date-no VP40s have fallen, or been tested yet to the best of my knowledge).

Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-23-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Curious what circumstances you forsee that would need more than a field strip and cleaning it out with some water?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wondering if I should add a can of air to my "cleaning the 320s" kit...

I don't know if a can of "dust off" would clean out the frame well enough, but it seems preferable to trying to disassemble it in the back of beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Curious what circumstances you forsee that would need more than a field strip and cleaning it out with some water?
    In western WA? Volcanic dust? Silt?

In case of forays into Seattle, patchouli oil.
    Last edited by Drang; 07-23-2017 at 04:44 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Will dust and silt cause a total strip to clean out? Or can you field strip and rinse out to get it back to operation?

Having the weapon immersed in silty, heavily particulated water, or having the internal action components significantly exposed to/packed up with fine dust/sand/ash-possibly due to dropping or, at least for some of us, to high-velocity particles from rotor-wash in a dry, dusty, fine-particulate environment.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Wondering if I should add a can of air to my "cleaning the 320s" kit...

I don't know if a can of "dust off" would clean out the frame well enough, but it seems preferable to trying to disassemble it in the back of beyond.

In western WA? Volcanic dust? Silt?

LOL, Drang. But seriously, there's potential for ash exposure in Eastern Washington/Okanogan area) due to the extensive wilderness fires relatively recently (but that's not where we were in this discussion) Hiking in the Mt St Helens area might also still provide some, but I haven't been out there for years.

Best, Jon

Patchouli oil.....good one!
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-23-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Will dust and silt cause a total strip to clean out? Or can you field strip and rinse out to get it back to operation?

Granted, what I'm discussion it might not require more than field-stripping in most cases. Rinsing might well take care of things. That also played into my decision for the HK VP40 in this instance. But for a longer, more isolated wilderness adventure, it'll be something that I'd likely take more into consideration (especially given options that I already have on hand).

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-23-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Granted, what I'm discussion it might not require more than field-stripping in most cases. Rinsing might well take care of things. That also played into my decision for the HK VP40 in this instance. But for a longer, more isolated wilderness adventure, it'll be something that I'd likely take more into consideration.

Best, Jon
    Thanks for taking the time, genuinely curious about it as I don't drop into adverse conditions like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Having the weapon immersed in silty, heavily particulated water, or having the internal action components significantly exposed to/packed up with fine dust/sand/ash-possibly due to dropping or, at least for some of us, to high-velocity particles from rotor-wash in a dry, dusty, fine-particulate environment.

Best, Jon
    At the point where rotor wash comes into play on a hike in WA I figure my hike is over and I can detail strip at home after I get out of the hospital. But, more than likely at the point of helicopter extraction, my need for a woods gun is pretty much past. I've stream rinsed a Glock, sun dried it, oiled it and gone on about my pre season deer scouting. Could probably do the same with most modern handguns realistically.

However you may lead a much different hiking lifestyle than I do.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Any oil is better than no oil. The lubrication requirements of pistols are not demanding.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List