Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Culture 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    gun culture?

i never got my membership card. i keep missing the meetings.

i like guns, i like shooting, i have friends who are similar. i always thought it was just part of being an American.
    I know plenty of people who care a whit about guns and shooting, yet they're as American as anyone here. I don't see that as a prerequisite.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

For those who've had contact with this gentleman, I find it odd that he is apparently hanging out at these courses rather than actually going through them. I'm referring to both Tom's course and his visit to Gunsite. Has he explained why he is not a student?

He's a scientist. Probably can't afford the classes.

/TIC.
    David S.

likely he view's his task as an observer and chronicler of what is going on. if he took part, then he couldn't be detached and objective.

he'd lose all professional respect if he wrote "i went to this class, learned a lot and had fun", but if he writes "everyone there seemed to have a good time, so and so was discussed, and the majority of students were older white males", then that's ok.

i for one, refuse to be stuffed into some box or category. i'm an individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    For those who've had contact with this gentleman, I find it odd that he is apparently hanging out at these courses rather than actually going through them. I'm referring to both Tom's course and his visit to Gunsite. Has he explained why he is not a student?
    Don't know... But, I just txt'd him to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    He's a scientist. Probably can't afford the classes.

/TIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    likely he view's his task as an observer and chronicler of what is going on. if he took part, then he couldn't be detached and objective.

he'd lose all professional respect if he wrote "i went to this class, learned a lot and had fun", but if he writes "everyone there seemed to have a good time, so and so was discussed, and the majority of students were older white males", then that's ok.

i for one, refuse to be stuffed into some box or category. i'm an individual.
    David's response:
    Two reasons for not Participating:
    One, you can't observe everything while participating. Like at Gunsite there were 7 instructors and 30 students working on 2 ranges. I would miss a lot by shooting that course (as much as I would love to). Two, it costs too much. I don't have $1,700 plus ammo for the Gunsite course. Some courses like the Rangemaster instructor course I am not really qualified to shoot. Or would detract from the class if I did.

close enough.

tell the prof to go to a local IDPA match. watching is free. get a little slice of his so called gun culture 2.0 out in the wild (almost).

I hope it was obvious my comment was made in complete jest. My apologies if that's not the case.

Cheers,
    Last edited by David S.; 07-27-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I hope it was obvious my comment was made in complete jest. My apologies if that's not the case.

Cheers,
    He hasn't read the thread. It was obvious, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    As I said, David is a great guy. We need more social scientists who do legit investigations of gun usage, etc.

The idea of two gun cultures (sports, hunting vs. SD) is not unique to David (his work is a contribution on this concept). For example:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...7.00087.x/full

SIZE OF HOUSEHOLD FIREARM COLLECTIONS: IMPLICATIONS FOR SUBCULTURES AND GENDER*
    Authors

First published: August 2007Full publication history
    DOI: 10.1111/j.1745-9125.2007.00087.x View/save citation
    Cited by (CrossRef): 1 article Check for updates

Abstract

Recent work (Cook and Ludwig, 2003) has linked local firearm density to increased burglary victimization risk. The current work investigates within-household gun density or household firearm collection size. Previous work has suggested two subcultures of gun owners: protection-minded and sport- or hunting-minded. It also has identified gender gaps in reporting any household guns and in the number reported. None of the earlier work, however, has controlled for selection into gun-owning household status. This limitation raises potential questions about earlier findings. The current research controls for selection. If the two subcultures thesis is correct, protection-minded owners should report smaller household firearm collections. The expected impact is observed in one national survey and is partially replicated in a second. Gender gaps seemed more independent than previously suggested. This study is the first to provide evidence of two partially overlapping subcultures of gun owners even after controlling for selection into gun-owning household status. Practical implications for burglary risk may exist.

--------------

The issue is quite important to the RKBA because antigunners want to portray the gun user population as sports oriented for the most part and the SD group as nuts. This leads to folks supporting the RKBA as they are 'hunters'. You get so-called conservatives like Morning Joe (now not a conservative as the womanly powers of Mika have transmuted him) saying: I don't see why I need an assault rifle with 30 cop-killer bullets to take my son hunting. You get the typical politician goose or Tweety Bird hunt as evidence that we support the 2nd Amend.

I think also the data of current gun sales supports the dichotomy. Handguns sales have risen dramatically while shotgun sales have been flat for many years (see Shooting Industry's production reports). Rifles - biggest rise in sales is in the EBR domain, not the bolt action guns. You may remember that there was fraudulent pro-gun organization called the Bolt-Action Rifle Association. It was not a legit specialty group but a fake counter to the NRA that wanted to ban the evil guns. Also, remember the Zumbo and Metcalf fiascos.
    I hate to admit but I know a few hunters that tell me Don't worry about all this anti 2A stuff, "They aint Never Gonna Take Our Guns to Hunt Away" I say the 2A aint about Huntn! Then its ON.

User Tag List