Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Culture 2.0

Site Supporter

Gun Culture 2.0

David Yamane, a sociologist and university professor, has been closely observing private sector defensive firearms training and writing about his observations in his blog, Gun Culture 2.0 . See https://gunculture2point0.wordpress.com/ .

David recently audited our instructor development program and wrote about it and other instructor training. I found his thoughts on the subject to be very interesting. Check it out.

Site Supporter
    I've met him at a criminology conference. He's a good guy!

Here's a link to a journal article on the isssue:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...oc4.12497/full
    Sociology Compass

View issue TOC
    Volume 11, Issue 7
    July 2017
    e12497

ARTICLE
    The sociology of U.S. gun culture
    Authors

First published: 16 June 2017Full publication history
    DOI: 10.1111/soc4.12497 View/save citation

As a PS - here's a challenge of the defensive gun culture to the New York Times antigun world view:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/o...ml?ref=opinion

An African-American woman. I wonder why the Times let this through. The comments, for the most part from antis, are the usual incorrect statistics and inability to understand why the need for self-defense trumps the criminal activities.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 07-24-2017 at 01:01 PM.

David is an awesome dude!

Initial perusal shows lots of good thinking and writing in this blog -- take a look!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I perused. He covered lots of high level topics well. As someone relatively involved in gun culture it wasn't anything enlightening.

But if you were new or less involved it could be informational. Might be a good way to introduce people into vetting their own instructors/personalities. But it would need to be more structured I think.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 07-25-2017 at 11:39 AM.

gun culture?

i never got my membership card. i keep missing the meetings.

i like guns, i like shooting, i have friends who are similar. i always thought it was just part of being an American.

What is gun culture?

Would it not be American culture?

Or is he specifically talking about the small minority of Americans who train with firearms?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    What is gun culture?

Would it not be American culture?

Or is he specifically talking about the small minority of Americans who train with firearms?
    His bio gives a pretty good description:
    David Yamane: I am a sociologist. Through study and personal experience, I am trying understand what Michael Bane calls “Gun Culture 2.0.” According to Bane, the formerly dominant Gun Culture 1.0 — based in hunting, military, and law enforcement — has given way to a new group of individuals (including an increasing number of women) who have gotten into shooting through concealed carry/self-defense and the shooting sports. Is there indeed a new gun culture in America? If so, what does it look like? Answering these questions is my aim. My approach to Gun Culture 2.0 is inspired by philosopher Baruch Spinoza: “I have sedulously endeavored not to laugh at human actions, nor to lament them, nor to detest them, but to understand them.”

Site Supporter
    As I said, David is a great guy. We need more social scientists who do legit investigations of gun usage, etc.

The idea of two gun cultures (sports, hunting vs. SD) is not unique to David (his work is a contribution on this concept). For example:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...7.00087.x/full

SIZE OF HOUSEHOLD FIREARM COLLECTIONS: IMPLICATIONS FOR SUBCULTURES AND GENDER*
    Authors

First published: August 2007Full publication history
    DOI: 10.1111/j.1745-9125.2007.00087.x View/save citation
    Cited by (CrossRef): 1 article Check for updates

Abstract

Recent work (Cook and Ludwig, 2003) has linked local firearm density to increased burglary victimization risk. The current work investigates within-household gun density or household firearm collection size. Previous work has suggested two subcultures of gun owners: protection-minded and sport- or hunting-minded. It also has identified gender gaps in reporting any household guns and in the number reported. None of the earlier work, however, has controlled for selection into gun-owning household status. This limitation raises potential questions about earlier findings. The current research controls for selection. If the two subcultures thesis is correct, protection-minded owners should report smaller household firearm collections. The expected impact is observed in one national survey and is partially replicated in a second. Gender gaps seemed more independent than previously suggested. This study is the first to provide evidence of two partially overlapping subcultures of gun owners even after controlling for selection into gun-owning household status. Practical implications for burglary risk may exist.

--------------

The issue is quite important to the RKBA because antigunners want to portray the gun user population as sports oriented for the most part and the SD group as nuts. This leads to folks supporting the RKBA as they are 'hunters'. You get so-called conservatives like Morning Joe (now not a conservative as the womanly powers of Mika have transmuted him) saying: I don't see why I need an assault rifle with 30 cop-killer bullets to take my son hunting. You get the typical politician goose or Tweety Bird hunt as evidence that we support the 2nd Amend.

I think also the data of current gun sales supports the dichotomy. Handguns sales have risen dramatically while shotgun sales have been flat for many years (see Shooting Industry's production reports). Rifles - biggest rise in sales is in the EBR domain, not the bolt action guns. You may remember that there was fraudulent pro-gun organization called the Bolt-Action Rifle Association. It was not a legit specialty group but a fake counter to the NRA that wanted to ban the evil guns. Also, remember the Zumbo and Metcalf fiascos.

Glenn, I always enjoy your scholarly approach to stuff here. Thanks.

User Tag List