Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a long gun part of your home defense strategy?

Some real world testing of wall penetration. Be sure to watch all three parts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z_GQfsNB3M

I guess it really would be situation dependent. I have long guns in the house and as a combat veteran, Im certainly comfortable w them but I would say Id imagine me getting to a concealed hand gun before getting to a rifle. My handguns are just easier to access, maneuver and a lot less velocity to have to worry about drilling through sheet rock walls in the house. Now if its a home invasion and multiple attackers on an all out assault, I might reconsider that

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    and a lot less velocity to have to worry about drilling through sheet rock walls in the house
    No disrespect intended, but less velocity doesn't necessarily translate to less penetration through common building materials. Handgun rounds may be more worrisome than 5.56 rounds in that regard.

Several Army studies from early in this century showed 55gr FMJ 5.56 penetrated less through common building materials than 9mm FMJ. Of course, those are FMJ results, and pretty dated at this point...

I have 3 long guns for "home defense". Right beside the bed is a double barrel 12 ga. coach gun, empty with 5 rounds of double O buck in a butt cuff. Right beside it is an M&P 15-22 with a light and a 1.5-5X scope with a green dot. Scope is worth more than the rifle. At my rural location I am more apt to need the .22 for varmint control. I have three 25 round mags laying beside it. In a nearby closet is my 870 with a mix of buck and slugs in a butt cuff and more rounds on the sling. All guns are unloaded with rounds ready to be used.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I have 3 long guns for "home defense". Right beside the bed is a double barrel 12 ga. coach gun, empty with 5 rounds of double O buck in a butt cuff. Right beside it is an M&P 15-22 with a light and a 1.5-5X scope with a green dot. Scope is worth more than the rifle. At my rural location I am more apt to need the .22 for varmint control. I have three 25 round mags laying beside it. In a nearby closet is my 870 with a mix of buck and slugs in a butt cuff and more rounds on the sling. All guns are unloaded with rounds ready to be used.
    Bill, why the coach gun as the first option given you have the 870? Is it related to wanting to keep the shotties unloaded? What's the driving concept?

My actual first option is my Glock 17 with a light and laser grips. With my vision, I can use either eye to shoot a handgun. The double barrel is easy to break open and dump 2 rounds in. As I stated I am more apt to need a gun for varmint control.

I have, upon hearing commotion outside my home, grabbed a 5.56mm carbine to investigate. This was in the night, and at a time where I was facing the chances of an elevated threat, so I had been keeping the carbine and my normal carry gun out and accessible when practical. Normally, I don't have an AR out of the safe, and usually just rely on my carry gun, with the addition of a light. I have a shotgun full of #1 buck available alongside the carbine, if I have time to crack the safe. It's good to have options.

A long gun will almost always trump a handgun, effectiveness wise, but indoors, and while your arms/hands might be otherwise occupied ( herding children to a safer place) handguns do make some sense. I think securing a long arm, but maintaining easy access is pretty difficult with children/neighbors children around. That changes a bit when they get older.
    Last edited by WDR; 10-27-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    My actual first option is my Glock 17 with a light...
    Ditto, in condition 3. Easy to find in a completely dark room with night sights visible from my sleeping position.

Long guns are within easy reach and though unloaded, set up to get into action quickly if needed.

With exterior lights, entry hardening, an alarm system and a couple of bark-at-anything mutts, I'm pretty confident that I'll hear 'em coming and be ready to greet any uninvited guest(s) from the top of the staircase.

My plans used to be pistol with weapon light on nightstand and a loaded 590a1 with 00 buck. The shotgun sat there 24/7. Pistol also sat on nightstand almost 24/7. Two dogs sleep in the room with me and wife. Bedroom has two entry doors. Each door had one of the doorhandle prop things. So between coming up my creeky ass ol farmhouse stairs and beating on the door to get in the room. And the dogs losing their shit from intruders. I felt pretty good about time to get long gun.

Life has changed. Three kids a dog and their mother now also live with us. So. No shotgun next to bed and no pistol left out. Dogs have also had to learn that sounds in the night do not mean bad guys. Guns stay locked in safe. I am going to install a in wall safe and place key hi and handy at night time. I am not comfortable with leaving a pistol on nightstand at night. Honestly afraid to leave it out. I am also thinking i should switch to the ar. Before I was not worried about penetration also. Surrounded by state land.

Having others in the house really porks security. Before I would basically not leave the room if something happened. Now I most definitely would make sure the kids were safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List