Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a long gun part of your home defense strategy?

Different gear for different missions. For the most part I plan to grab my pistol and a light. However, the layout of the bedroom door/hallway provide pretty solid cover to dominate said hallway and protect the bedrooms. That's an 870 mission.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I have the AR in the closet for when I hear something coming (seems pretty rare for me). But it's there in case I need it. Clearing a house or going to a possible threat(bump in the night) for most people is better done with a pistol IMO. Retention, using the WML are all easier with the pistol. I know that's true for me and I've cleared thousands of buildings. I suspect it's true for most civilians.

What concerns me is the amount of people that have pistols placed somewhere to retrieve in an emergency. That does work sometimes. But sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes, where the threat enters, what you're doing when it occurs, having kids around, etc can effect one's ability to access that gun. Not being able to access the gun in a second during situations like this isn't up to you at that point. Call it fate or whatever but it puts one behind the curve even more.

My solution as a general rule...I like to put my pants on in the morning after a shower and take the pants off at night before bed. I've been doing that for decades. Go figure. My plan is to have a pistol attached to the pants. I have only one procedure to access the pistol whether it's a parking lot or when I'm answering the door. Kids don't get access to the gun, etc. As I age my brain power is starting to show it's limitations. Or as my wife says, "Your blond roots are showing more and more these days." For me, simple is better.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

A scenario that has not been well covered in the above posts is how you protect your home when you are away and your loved ones are at home. For me, that was an issue for more than six years as I was gone approximately 335 days per year. My daughter was in college, and my wife was often home alone.

The security system, like all should be, was done in layers. Especially after the sheriff flat out told me that his department response time to our home could be thirty minutes and we should be prepared to handle things ourselves. We had cameras showing the front of the house, a large wall blocking access to the rear of the house, tough doors and windows resistant to intrusion, and a large number of four-legged alarms and defenders, including two Belgian Malinois that loved my wife. With all of that, she had plenty of time to grab her 870 AFTER calling 911 (hard to handle a phone, a pistol, and a long gun at the same time) and settling into her safe room (the master bedroom).

Seems like the 870, my former choice as primary long gun for HD until fairly recently, is leading the AR by a wide margin in this thread so far.

My 870 is a 15 year old Express with bead front sight, Surefire DSF-870 forend, +2 extension tube and a swift sling. It's currently loaded with Hornady TAP reduced recoil 00 (VersaTite) for inside the home.

The AR on the other hand has an Aimpoint H2, Streamlight TLR-1 HL, Wilson Combat trigger, sling and obviously quite a bit more firepower, (as opposed to pure stopping power). Has a mag of Hornady TAP "Urban" 55gr .223 inserted...with full magazines of 55gr and 64gr Gold Dot rounds close at hand.

I'd be interested in the thought processes involved for those who have both weapons but settled upon one or the other.
    Last edited by blues; 07-23-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Can only speak for myself on the 870 versus AR, but I have a lot more time and rounds behind the 870 than I do an AR, so I am more proficient with the 870. It is a lot easier for me to practice with an 870 (use backyard) than to drive to my farm with the rifle range.

My 870 has a Surefire 618, a WC +1 extension, LPA peep rear sight, tritium front sight on a 18.5" IC-choked barrel, and a Speedfeed IV-S stock. Ammo is 2-3/4" #4 Buck. I have zeroed the sights with slugs, but my current environment is not a good fit for slugs. My wife's 870 is an AI&P Tactical with ghost ring sights, an 18.5" IC-choked barrel, and Speedfeed stock and forend. Ammo is also #4 Buck.
    Last edited by farscott; 07-23-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Seems like the 870, my former choice as primary long gun for HD until fairly recently, is leading the AR by a wide margin in this thread so far.

My 870 is a 15 year old Express with bead front sight, Surefire DSF-870 forend, +2 extension tube and a swift sling. It's currently loaded with Hornady TAP reduced recoil 00 (VersaTite) for inside the home.

The AR on the other hand has an Aimpoint H2, Streamlight TLR-1 HL, Wilson Combat trigger, sling and obviously quite a bit more firepower, (as opposed to pure stopping power). Has a mag of Hornady TAP "Urban" 55gr .223 inserted...with full magazines of 55gr and 64gr Gold Dot rounds close at hand.

I'd be interested in the thought processes involved for those who have both weapons but settled upon one or the other.
    I'm not John Wick and I don't live in a 10,000 square foot house. Hence I think that six rounds of 00 will handle all my indoor long gun needs. That and I hate firing carbines indoors.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm not John Wick and I don't live in a 10,000 square foot house. Hence I think that six rounds of 00 will handle all my indoor long gun needs. That and I hate firing carbines indoors.
    I don't know anything about John Wick though I see threads about "him" here. Keanu Reeves is enough for me to stop before going further.

Agree with you about firing indoors. Hence the reason for my ear and eye pro on the back corner of the nightstand. (As if I'll have the opportunity...)

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't know anything about John Wick
    He has to kill 400 guys per movie, and that's pretty much all you need to know about the movies.

I'm substantially better with a carbine than I am with a pistol, so a carbine is very much part of the plan. Reality is that I don't know how/when I'll need to use a firearm around the house, but if the time comes I need a gun, a pistol isn't my first choice. It's not my first choice in any casr that would require me to shoot to save my life or the life of a loved one. I carry a pistol daily out of convenience not out of overwhelming confidence that it is the best tool for the task. The only thing a pistol does better than a rifle is carry........ now that we deal with animals as a valid threat, and the fact that LE response is measured in hours, not minutes, and the fact that the neighbors can't hear us screaming, having long guns available in numerous locations throuythe property has become part of the master plan.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Sean, do shotguns have a place in your continuum in terms of threat management? Or only for critters?

(Our environments are substantially similar though I'm closer to both neighbors and town.)
    Last edited by blues; 07-23-2017 at 10:23 AM.

User Tag List