Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Is a long gun part of your home defense strategy?

For those with an AR set up for home defense- do you have AR specific for home defense and a second for raging hordes of zombies or whatnot?
    Thinking through the best home defense option for the house and starting with this thread.
    My AR currently has an aim point ccw on it. A HD would have a flashlight and most likely iron sights.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    For those with an AR set up for home defense- do you have AR specific for home defense and a second for raging hordes of zombies or whatnot?
    Thinking through the best home defense option for the house and starting with this thread.
    My AR currently has an aim point ccw on it. A HD would have a flashlight and most likely iron sights.
    Why wouldn't you want to have an Aimpoint on an AR for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Why wouldn't you want to have an Aimpoint on an AR for home defense?
    You can- I've found a certain level of diminishing returns with weight and "stuff" getting attached to AR's. I've kept mine striped down pretty good even while deployed.

I'm with Ed. All of my self defense long guns have Aimpoints.

Have you had an opportunity to test them on a timer? I think you will be pleased with the speed you can gain from an Aimpoint.

I learned on iron sights, but am now a big, big fan of the Aimpoint Micro line of optics on AR's and shotguns.

Either way, it sounds like a fun range day.

You can- I've found a certain level of diminishing returns with weight and "stuff" getting attached to AR's. I've kept mine striped down pretty good even while deployed.
    And I hear ya there. My HD carbine is a nice lightweight BCM. You are welcome to borrow it at a nearby range if you wish, it would be fun to try it out.

Followed, of course, by some great Cowtown BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And I hear ya there. My HD carbine is a nice lightweight BCM. You are welcome to borrow it at a nearby range if you wish, it would be fun to try it out.

Followed, of course, by some great Cowtown BBQ.
    It's been a few years since I was overseas so I'm trying to remember my set up then.. We didn't use flashlights on M4's due to night vision. Now that I'm thinking of it- I can't remember ever having white lights...
    It's an option for sure- I was thinking more of the dedicated HD rifle and a second for something else???
    Maybe I'm trying to justify a new AR.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'm with Ed. All of my self defense long guns have Aimpoints.

Have you had an opportunity to test them on a timer? I think you will be pleased with the speed you can gain from an Aimpoint.

I learned on iron sights, but am now a big, big fan of the Aimpoint Micro line of optics on AR's and shotguns.
    Concur. Even though I only have one AR, with one Aimpoint H-2, (and a TLR-1 HL, Magpul sling and Wilson Combat TTU trigger).

It's been a few years since I was overseas so I'm trying to remember my set up then.. We didn't use flashlights on M4's due to night vision. Now that I'm thinking of it- I can't remember ever having white lights...
    It's an option for sure- I was thinking more of the dedicated HD rifle and a second for something else???
    Maybe I'm trying to justify a new AR.
    Allow me to be your enabler.

You neeeed another AR, you surely do.

I've used Aimpoints so long on ARs (and an errant FS2000) that I have been spoiled by them. They are quicker to pick up than open sights--especially in low light, better for a situation when you are moving or your target is moving, etc.

As long as it is mounted over the receiver of an AR it doesn't hurt the balance.

Even if you are trying to justify a new AR, I would still have an Aimpoint on my HD AR.

Site Supporter
    White light, sling, and optic are the basic accoutrements for a working rifle CONUS, be it an LEO duty rifle or a HD rifle.

For any CONUS use off a square range, positive target ID is mandatory. Aimpoints and WML are not mutually exclusive. All the advantages the Aimpoint affords in daylight are present when used in conjunction with white light.

Some don’t like a sling on an HD rifle but is just bungee or Velcro strap it out of the way like I do on my work rifle.

I’m all for you buying another AR but I would add a good white light to your present rifle before buying another.

User Tag List