Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Is a long gun part of your home defense strategy?

What’s the best set up for a weapon mounted light? Are scout lights the way to go or is something like an X300 better for long guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    What’s the best set up for a weapon mounted light? Are scout lights the way to go or is something like an X300 better for long guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tends to be personal preference. I like the switch-ology of the TLR-1 (X300 is similar)

Some people prefer the tail caps. A reliable light with the switches you prefer is the answer.

VP9 with a X300U is immediately next to me on the nightstand.
    Above my bedroom closet (which I have to pass by on my way out of my bedroom unless I want to crawl over furniture) is a Benelli M4 w/Fury P2X mounted, loaded with FC#1.
    Plan A is to grab the VP9 and go.
    Plan B is to grab the Benelli if I have more time or if I have the time and need to take care of something immediately outside the door from my bedroom to the back yard.
    Plan C (End of the World) is to grab the H&K MR762 and level IV plate carrier that are in the bedroom safe that's unlocked at night.

I'm right at the edge of town with nothing but miles of pasture behind me.
    If I need a long gun it's probably to shoot a coyote or feral dog that's either in my yard trying to fight or eat my dogs or in the process of trying to get into my yard.
    I have cow dogs that you can't make come in the house to live, and they hate coyotes with a passion.
    Nothing anchors a coyote or feral inside 35Y like FC#1 buckshot... nothing.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-10-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    I was all about X300’s but for some reason put Scouts on both my HD AR’s. With Arisko (I did not spell that right) mounts they are pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    For those with an AR set up for home defense- do you have AR specific for home defense and a second for raging hordes of zombies or whatnot?
    Thinking through the best home defense option for the house and starting with this thread.
    My AR currently has an aim point ccw on it. A HD would have a flashlight and most likely iron sights.
    I have one rifle. It is a do-all. From HD to hunting to "zombie apocalypse." It is set up with a Leupold VX-6 multigun 1-6 LPVO, SL 1k lumen rifle light, and a BFG vickers sling. I dont have a true need for multiple rifles as my primary training is in what I will realistically need or have on hand the majority of the time. Therefore I set it up to be the best over all fit. Honestly if I can find a deal on another RMR in the future I will have one on an offset mount and ditch my irons. But thats a plan for the distant future.
    Just a father trying to protect his family.

I keep my 9” BCM 300 Blackout pistol wedged between my mattress and bed frame. Mag is loaded with 28 rounds of Barnes 110 TSX. Light setup is a TLR-1 HL @ 12 o’clock, fixed DD irons and the optic is a Trijicon MRO that is always on.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List