Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a long gun part of your home defense strategy?

Site Supporter
    It is pretty cool.

I've often thought of setting up a .30-30 for suppressor use since the Omega I have on my 300 BLK would also work for .30-30. Even with supersonic ammo the noise would be reduced a great deal, though not quite hearing safe.

Shooting .38Spl rounds with a suppressor would be really quiet and effective at short range, but it would mean getting another rifle and another can. I also wonder if shooting .38s in a .357 lever gun will cause crud to build up in the front of the chamber like it can with revolvers.

Since I moved into a third floor apartment, I've taken my AR out of primary HD duties. Shooting towards the front door would put rounds through the neighbors front door. I have squarely two sides of the apartment to fire towards without the worry of rounds going into other apartments. My G19/RMR/X300U is my go-to now with extra G17 mags with TT +5 extensions for reloads.
    I keep the AR with a mag in and chamber flag hidden on the other side of the apartment if I ended up away from my primary.
    A 14" shotgun would be nice if I could have one. A shockwave type is not what I want though. NFA makes everything more difficult I swear.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I also wonder if shooting .38s in a .357 lever gun will cause crud to build up in the front of the chamber like it can with revolvers.
    It can.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Attachment 18813

"Just like a fed to take a handgun to a ... eh, nevermind!"

Great actor playing a pretty tough guy in a great movie.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    Since I moved into a third floor apartment, I've taken my AR out of primary HD duties. Shooting towards the front door would put rounds through the neighbors front door. I have squarely two sides of the apartment to fire towards without the worry of rounds going into other apartments. My G19/RMR/X300U is my go-to now with extra G17 mags with TT +5 extensions for reloads.
    I keep the AR with a mag in and chamber flag hidden on the other side of the apartment if I ended up away from my primary.
    A 14" shotgun would be nice if I could have one. A shockwave type is not what I want though. NFA makes everything more difficult I swear.
    Although apartment walls won't stop any of the mentioned rounds remember that with proper ammunition 5.56 will penetrate less than either 9mm or buckshot.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Although apartment walls won't stop any of the mentioned rounds remember that with proper ammunition 5.56 will penetrate less than either 9mm or buckshot.
    Yeah I understand that. Its less about over-penetration so much as ease of maneuverability in the apartment. The G19 just makes it a ton easier compared to an AR. Now if I got stuck in my bedroom defending against hordes of zombies then the AR would be perfect.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    Yeah I understand that. Its less about over-penetration so much as ease of maneuverability in the apartment. The G19 just makes it a ton easier compared to an AR. Now if I got stuck in my bedroom defending against hordes of zombies then the AR would be perfect.
    That makes sense, the pistol is much handier, especially if you are dealing with doors or loved ones. I have also settled on my carry gun (G19 or G26 depending on the day) for bedside duty. That said if I I fully press out with my G19 the muzzle is father out than when I shoulder my 8.5" .300 BO SBR! Of course you don't have to fully press out with a pistol so that's not a reason to pick the SBR but it was eye opening the when I first assembled it and took a sight picture!

I've recently joined the HD carbine mindset.
    It's always been my daily carry [mostly a Walther 99, 9mm]on the night stand, but as of late, it's been the DDLES 9mm carbine under the bed. A stick mag of my carry ammo.

We live in a very rural part of northern NH, where honestly, you don't have to lock your doors. It might be one of the last bastions like this in America. We're by a lake, so there are vacationers, but for the most part, they are removed from where we are.
    Enter the heroin and fentanyl infection that is spreading rapidly north in NH, and the shitbags are performing smash and grabs for your valuables all the time.

The good is that we are far enough from the local 'city', bad is that we can't hide our heads in the sand and say it won't happen.
    90% of the B&E's are daytime, when folks are at work here. Not too much about home invasions or robberies after dark.

We have "layers of protection" around my property:
    The ability to see the 'approaches' to our home.
    Motion lights around the perimeter and in the wooded areas around my home.
    A dog, as someone [JGM???] mentioned.
    Guns and valuables locked securely in safes, except for HD guns.
    And the mindset that it CAN happen to anyone.

Honestly, if there were a bump in the night, 99% of the time the dog lets me know with a low growl. I,m thinking that the 9mm carbine would be the go-to choice, if for no other reason but the accuracy and stability over the handgun.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Now it is. Remington 870P with 6 rounds of 12GA 00 buck onboard; a 2 more in the sidesaddle next to 2 slugs. I live in the basement of a home and now no longer have a lot of backstop issues from the place; I also live in metro Denver and thus ARs are complicated due to state and city laws. When I lived in a condo I mostly relied on my pistol due to the space constraints, I now have the space that makes a 12 gauge fairly handy
    Last edited by Nephrology; 08-18-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Lately I've swapped out the AR-15 / muffs in the closet for a 30 round AR-9 (Colt) with a mounted light as I am less leery of firing it indoors.

Big overly protective dog should help buy me a little time.

A pistol/brace or SBR + suppressor might change my perspective. 4.5" AR9 + suppressor is an idea I'm toying with.
    Me too (AR9).

Me too over-protective dog.

Me too on AR pistol/suppressor combo.

I have thought about going with a linear compensator on my AR9, to push the minimal muzzle blast away forward, away, from me. It won't affect sound per se, but it might redirect muzzle blast such that any blast indoors doesn't disorient.

The dog is a goofy, friendly, puppy at 9.5 months, but also at 45-pounds and growing, he is a good deterrent already. He alerts well and he is territorial.

Light mounted handgun with 20-round magazine is in the safe, until bed time and then at bed time it goes on my nightstand. All of this is next to my fire-extinguisher, I have two rubber bathmats for the inside and out of the shower, and I always secure ladders to something stable when working from them.

User Tag List