Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a long gun part of your home defense strategy?

Is a long gun part of your home defense strategy?

Earlier today, we ended up discussing long guns in the Tom Givens American Handgunner thread. Blues said the following (below). I am curious how long guns fit in, if at all, to your home defense planning?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Even in one's bedroom, if the AR or shotgun isn't immediately at one's bedside, what are the chances that one will have the opportunity in the heat of the moment to run back to the walk-in closet and grab that long gun to bring to bear?

I suppose I could send the missus back to retrieve it but her job is to fall back to an agreed upon location where she is to call the local constabulary and sit on the floor with a .357 with which she is to defend herself if anyone attempts to intrude without first being identified as a friendly.

Short of putting my AR (or 870) alongside the bed every night, I'd probably have to deal with any immediate threat with my light bearing G17 and extra mags. And I'm pretty much fine with that.

I think the AR in the nearby closet and the ear muffs / eye pro on the nightstand are more talisman than practical solutions in the particular instance described.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

870 with #1 buck Flite Control kept handy. Sometimes you have time.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If the only time I have is when the intruder is already in my residence or in the midst of breaching, then yeah, I'm likely not going to have time to retrieve a long gun and the pistol next to the bed is what I'm fighting with.

What if it's an ISIS inspired HGE going down the hallway of my apartment complex with a blade, or some dude on Flakka? The idea isn't unrealistic. It's already happened a bunch. In that case, I may certainly have time to retrieve my HD long gun which is a Mossberg 500. Thus, I guess you could say that it's part of the home defense plan, even if it's not my first line gear.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-22-2017 at 09:41 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    870 with #1 buck Flite Control kept handy. Sometimes you have time.
    Describe handy...if you would. (I like FliteControl & VersaTite in the 870.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm with Blues. The AR is inconvenient to have available. It is certainly not something that I would carry with me room to room. Conversely, a handgun is very convenient. A handgun is often with me wherever I am in the house, and is always at the bedside at night. Additionally, since my family does not live in Mayberry, we have had a big dog in the house with us ever since a break in a number of years ago.

Name:  joe.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  47.5 KB
    I'm with this guy!

EDIT: Sorry- I couldn't help myself. I do have a pistol on the nightstand, but the shotgun is on the window seat behind the bed.
    Last edited by holmes168; 07-22-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

As TGS said, if I have time to prepare...like I hear the horde approaching or my dog gives early warning...then I may very well go for my Aimpoint / white light equipped AR which is nearby with a mag inserted. (My 870 which had been my primary long gun for HD has been replaced for now.)

But most likely, a scenario where someone may already be in our home or coming up the stairs from the basement...is going to be taken on with the G17 and my knowledge of the floor plan to take advantage of cover, concealment and shooting lanes.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Describe handy...if you would. (I like FliteControl & VersaTite in the 870.)
    Oh say 20-30 seconds access away. I know well that's a specialization. I see no reason not to have arty on call.

Stats are less interesting to me than scenarios. I've had time before but no big gun option. Big is better.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Now, and thinking of GJM here, if I had to worry about bears as part of a defensive strategy, I would probably have a shotgun with slugs as part of the plan.

Site Supporter
    Pistol and light in nightstand. 14" 870 in bedroom closet.

The exterior doors in my home are metal, in metal frames, with good dead bolts. I have an alarm system and use it. Bedroom is on second floor. If there seems to be time, I'll go for the 870, if not, grab the pistol. The doors, alarms, etc are to provide time to get to the artillery.

User Tag List